Today is the day

DD_Arthur

When this happens in the local town where my eldest boys go to school;

Its something that everyone should see at least once as in this day and age the Insurance companies aren't gonna let it continue for much longer.

As an added bonus, my wife and eldest boys will be out most of the evening and once I've got my youngest nailed into bed I'll have the whole evening, uninterrupted, to enjoy some Dutch coops!!

Luxury :)

Edit: Fixed URL - GK

Thanks for the link Jedi. I'll get the hang of this interweb thingy one day!

How this event originated is now lost in the mists of time. I think it's a pretty unique event these days. Although a couple of other little places still roll barrels through there towns, here in Ottery st, Mary, where men are men and sheep are scared, they pick 'em up and run through the crowds with them on their shoulders.

Theres also womens and boys barrels earlier in the evening. The last barrel, in the town square at midnight, is big enough for a grown man to cower in!

I think it's just another excuse for a winter festival with drinking and general mayhem linked to, historically, this being a big cider producing area!

err, that barrel is on fire. And they do this voluntarily?

Yep, I think you're getting the idea now!

However, I have a feeling this years will be the last. Check this out;

Some dumbkopf threw an aerosol into the barrel. The resulting explosion sprayed burning tar over a dozen people. Three are still in hospital with minor burns I understand. Ah well...............

• 1. DDz Quorum

Some dumbkopf threw an aerosol into the barrel. The resulting explosion sprayed burning tar over a dozen people. Three are still in hospital with minor burns I understand. Ah well...............

Dumbkopf is not the right description....arsehole, scum, lowlife is more appropriate.