DDR Ram

Fireman

• 1. DDz Quorum

I would stick with the single 1Gb personally.

Couldn't resist for any longer:

I think all RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick but don't quote me on that.

I think all RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick but don't quote me on that.

:huh: I didn't get that?

You mean

?

It must be a coincidence, but that's what I think too. Weird stuff!

(but don't quote me on that.)

B :drunken_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

Lawls!

Actually, you could possibly run the pc2700 at pc3200 speed, but only if it is capable of it and you'd have to manually set the speed in the BIOS, and test it with memtest to be sure it is stable, then again in the OS with Orthos or Prime95. Have a look at the @Falconise - Overclocking advice thread for info on how to test the ram.

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,7236.0.html

You will have to test the 256mb stick first by itself. If it passes, then add the 1gb stick in the first slot and move the 256mb stick into the second slot.

Ram is almost always capable of running one speed grade higher than it's rated speed. They do this because they have to build in some overhead into it, so that it will run in just about any system. Most PC2700 ram I have encountered has easily run at PC3200 DDR400 speed, and sometimes even faster than a few PC3200 sticks have been able to do. There was some good stuff back in those days, that was sold as slower ram.

If you run into any problems, I would have to know the mobo and cpu make and model to look into it.

Also...

Are you certain the 1gb stick stick is running at DDR400 pc3200?

Any reason why you'd not run the 512mb stick with the 1gb stick? It's just that if the 256mb stick cannot handle DDR400, then perhaps the 512mb stick will.

:huh: I didn't get that?

You mean

?

It must be a coincidence, but that's what I think too. Weird stuff!

(but don't quote me on that.)

B :drunken_smilie: