Industrial archaeology for BG

DD_Arthur

On my way to a conference just outside Taunton in Zumerzet this morning when this beauty steamed past as I drove under a railway bridge.

Just managed to avoid driving up the arse of the car in front. Wow.

As it was only doing about 20mph I managed to get to a bridge further up the line.

meee026-2.jpg

Gresley A4 pacific from around the mid-thirties I think. Name plate said "Bittern". I know "Mallard" the world record holder is preserved but I didnt know this one had been saved.

meee025-1.jpg

I have a feeling BG must have ridden behind one of these in his youfff :bg:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I helped build the track!

:bg:

Which in layman parlance = 'I own the land and paid for the track and train'

Joking aside it is great to see those beauties alive, and they have made one from scratch too recently haven't they?

Thanks Arthur,

A Gresley A4 indeed, built at Doncaster for the London, North-Eastern Railway (LNER), and one of about 32 streamlined Pacifics used on the prestige express trains on the East Coast line back in the Thirties.

One of Gresley's innovations for the non-stop London to Edinburgh express, the world-famous Flying Scotsman, was that the tender had a corridor connecting the locomotive to the train, enabling a crew change during the journey without stopping the train.

I was a regular visitor to King's Cross station as a schoolboy, while steam traction was still alive. The loco-shed was quite close too and, if not actually open to visitors, no one minded too much if a couple of kids snuck through the fence. I once saw 15 of these magnificent beauties lined up there! Sadly, a year or two later there were none left at all.

B :dog: