ok techies...help plz

Fireman

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sorry Andrew, transatlantic lag at work here.

In the spyware thread I linked to a free disk image program.

I would take a snapshot (image) of your current C: drive then once done I would then format c: and re-install, relying on the snapshot taken earlier to restore data.

As your c: drive is only 40Gb you can do a drive image, too late for me to do this now but...I will share my copy of Paragon Drive image so you can do this tomorrow.

As I mentioned in the other thread.

Partion Partion Partion.

Keep the OS away from your installed programs, and your Documents.

Make your C:drive 50 gig, so you have plenty of room to breathe.

Then make a partion of aroun 75-100 gig for your documents,

The rest for programs like IL2 and such.

This way you can get a fresh OS and then image it, to either one of the two other partions, or directly to DVD.

And if and when this ever happens again. you just image it back to brand new with all your programs and documents still intack.

IL2 requires no registry keys to run, you can drag that folder anywhere you want including a USB pen drive, and even plug it into another machine and play it.

Other programs require the registy key to work, but its no big deal, just install it again on your C:drive and get the registry key installed then delete the new install folder in C:/program files and then redirect or make new descktop icons from your original install, and all will work as before with all your original settings.

Agian though I still recomend a dual boot. One for working, and one for Gaming.

Think about it.

Partion Partion Partion.

This way you can get a fresh OS and then image it, to either one of the two other partions, or directly to DVD.

And if and when this ever happens again. you just image it back to brand new with all your programs and documents still intack.

IL2 requires no registry keys to run, you can drag that folder anywhere you want including a USB pen drive, and even plug it into another machine and play it.

Other programs require the registy key to work, but its no big deal, just install it again on your C:drive and get the registry key installed then delete the new install folder in C:/program files and then redirect or make new descktop icons from your original install, and all will work as before with all your original settings.

Think about it.

that is currently what I have.........a 250 gig partitioned with the OS and office suite on C: (40gigis) and everything else (documents/data/photos/games) on the larger partition D: (210gigs)

Partion Partion Partion.

Think about it.

that is currently what I have.........a 250 gig partitioned with the OS and office suite on C: (40gigis) and everything else (documents/data/photos/games) on the larger partition D: (210gigs)

Your friend is smart, and did you a favour, Thank him, and beg for more help.

• 1. DDz Quorum

If you have 40Gb free space left on your D drive (or partition if you like) you can use drive snapshot to create a backup image on D:, and then format C: and re-install windows.

DriveSnapshot will allow you to open the image on the D drive after rebuild and recover files etc.

It is very easy to use, free for 30 days, and will ensure you get a good backup before you go any further.

Download it from here:

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Or from the attachment I have included!

alright I'll get it as soon as this re-install is finished.

Trying to track down another copy of MS office right now.

As far as protection is concerned (free)

This is what I am installing right now...

AVG (free)

Malwarebytes anitmalware (free)

Adaware (free)

Spybot S&D (free)

and I also have regcure (registered)

I am also using a Linksys Router.

Any other suggestions?

I tend not to let some of those above programs run in the background/automatically as they may slow down my pc (spybot can be annoying when trying to install programs).

Fireman,

I would suggest not worrying about Outlook, except for business Email.

Go get a Yahoo/hotmail/gmail etc. account and let them store yourstuff, and even scan your attachment's before you ever download them.

Outlook forces you to receive and open all attachments on your drive. If you want to view them, and if their bad guess what too late their in.

Firefox also has an email prog, I don't recall the name.

I used to use Firefox, but hated the fact I couldn't store my favorites on a disc, or thumb drive to have with me anywhere.

This is the first time my machine has been hit, in over 6 years of surfing.

Not counting my sacrifice machine I have for torrents, and other shady things I'm after.

It's an old Pentium 2 that I keep around for that kind of browsing, and if it gets wacked I reformat, and drop in my ghost of it. Fixed up and ready in 30 minutes for my unscrupulous activity.

here is 2 cc from someone who does this regularly on hes job. But i need to say that there can be 10 pc experts (and i'm not talking about the ones who do it @ home after reading PC world

• 1. DDz Quorum

Not counting my sacrifice machine I have for torrents, and other shady things I'm after.

It's an old Pentium 2 that I keep around for that kind of browsing, and if it gets wacked I reformat, and drop in my ghost of it. Fixed up and ready in 30 minutes for my unscrupulous activity.

Hey T_O_A_D M8, if you want a sacrificial system you got to try:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

It is free, a simple install and then you run it and create a virtual pc within it - this will be a file on your HD htat you can copy, if it gets smoked then you just delete and copy the original back.

The virtual drive for it starts out small and expands as required up to the maximum size you set (unless you take the option to create a fixed size virtual disk).

I'm using to run a few OS's, the coolest of which is Linux within my XP64 bit boot, and in 'seamless mode' where I have linux apps running along with Windows.

Great for safe browsing :)

thanks B16Enk

Just to clarify since Gec pointd t out.

The only prgrams I place on a seperate partion, is my games.

My working OS is 50 gigs, and it has photshop, PAint shop pro, virtual dub, dvix,ATI TV card stuff, Microsoft office, etc.

thanks B16Enk

Just to clarify since Gec pointd t out.

The only prgrams I place on a seperate partion, is my games.

My working OS is 50 gigs, and it has photshop, PAint shop pro, virtual dub, dvix,ATI TV card stuff, Microsoft office, etc.

Yes Gec my games are on a seperate drive from my Gaming OS.

My Gaming OS 15 gig, and My documents are on drive with two Partions 200 gig HD

My Working OS 50 gig, and My Games are in a single drive, with two partions. 200 gig HD

• 2. Administrators

I've just switched my machine over to three 500Gb SATA HDDs. One for my OS/Progs/Games which is Ghosted onto 10 DL DVDs (I really should have a clean out at some point). The other two are in a Mirrored RAID configuration and that's where I store my docs/work/photos etc etc. The RAID is backed up weekly to another external 500Gb drive via the Firewire port. It's overkill, but I won't run out of diskspace during this (or any other) millenium. In addition, having three backups of my photos means that even a dunderhead like myself would find it difficult to lose all of them simultaneously