The help Streak build a rig thread.

Streak

Thought I'd start another thread asking for help & opinions as not to hijack Tonar's thread.

I've decided I need a rig that can keep-up with all y'all's. Even though money is tight, I figure I can try to pick-up at least one component per month & build a rig when I've got everything here.

Since it will take a while to get everything together, I figure it would be best to start with basic stuff like the tower & then the power supply. So I've done some shopping around & found what I think would be a great case for what I'll be starting out with. Plus it should allow me to upgrade to my hearts content for quite a while too.

I've got a stupid question to ask first though.

Most of the cases I've looked at come with (2)X USB 2.0 in the front. Can I add an additional 2 or more in the back?

Anyway this is the tower I'm considering: nzxt tempest

Good, bad, other, let me know what ya think. :)

Not a bad case Greenstreaks. It does have a couple of big 120mm fans which is good. I personally like Full size towers. They just give you so much room and usually better airflow.

I have an Asus P5E Intel board which has 2 USB's in the front and 10 in the back. Look for a board which has lots of USB ports.

• 5 months later...

Ok, This thread is being revived now that I'm getting a tax return.

Following is the list of what I have & what I'm considering getting. So could some of the more build-experienced members here chime in. I need to know if the chosen components will work together, ext. All help & suggestions welcome.

I'm also looking for suggestions for how big of a PSU I'll need & what type of CPU coolers to look at.

Streaks Components List:

Already purchased Items:

• NZXT Tempest tower with 4X 120mm, 2X 140mm Fans.

• Saitek Cyborg gaming keyboard.

• Saitek Cyborg gaming mouse.

• LITEON cd/dvd writer (model iHAS220-08)

• 1. DDz Quorum

May not be your bag Streaks, but $180 for Vista is a big bite considering it is about to be phased out (or bypassed as is the case) by Windows 7 which is getting some good reviews.

An alternative for you, but it takes slightly more work to get it right, is to download the free trial of Windows Server 2008 and convert it to a Workstation OS (there is a free utility to do this and it will also assist in extending the 60 day trial period to 240 days).

I'm using it now with great results, much more responsive than Vista Ultimate I have on same PC and on a par with XP64.

Thanks B16Enk.

I Guess I could use some advise in that area too.

Can I use the version of XP Home that came with my HP Laptop to get the new desktop up & running?

If not, what is my best option?

Remember, this is the first time I've ever tried to build a computer. I know nothing about it, but feel that a few of you here are more than capable of walking me through it. (Well I hope so anyway :))

• 2. Administrators

Can I use the version of XP Home that came with my HP Laptop to get the new desktop up & running?

If not, what is my best option?

Unlikely, m8, that copy of XP will have a licence key attached to the laptop, and will probably have been modified to refuse to install on non-HP hardware. You could pick up a copy of XP Pro without spending too much, although you need to bear in mind that only the 64 bit version will be able to use all of that 6Gb of RAM you're proposing.

~S~ Jabo

Yeah, I'm with the guy's on that whole Vista thing, as you can get XP 64 on the cheap. AS far as the hardware, you'll have a well balanced wicked bad-assed benchmark stomping rig. I'd only change anything if you needed to save money, otherwise the OS is the only issue.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm concerned about the lack of specs on that board, although MSI makes good boards. You may want to check that the board supports both SLI and crossfire, as this may come in handy down the road (and the cross compatibility is one of the big pluses of the X58 chipset)