lanc model update- finished

delta7

lanclatest.jpg

pretty slow on this as other things keep cropping up and a lot of small detail to fit and paint e.g. bombs, guns etc - have half finished parts scattered evrywhere -either waiting for glue or paint to dry

its 1/72nd mate - really think this will be my last at this scale - too small for my old eyes

paint is brushed on - tried my new spraygun but didnt turn out right - I have ordered a couple of books and I think I need to practice a bit before unleasing it on any finished models

at that scale, you may as well paint it by brush,as you really couldn't see the spray effect anyway.

A friend of mine built the Monogram 1/48 B1B yrs ago........it had rubber tires yet, and metal gear struts.

I have the monogram 1/48th B-24 kit I found many yrs ago, but never built it. I never had any place to put something that big.

When you first get an airbrush, get a couple of models that you don't actually care much about to practice on. It takes a bit to get used to at first.

I have to remove all the paint off of my Me 109 to save it - hrmmmm....Oxi Clean apparently does the trick, but I haven't started yet.

• 2 weeks later...

superb pics - looks like a real scramble to move around - no wonder so few survived hits by flak or fighters , Iv read it was very hard to escape from

Iv been around 6 months on and off on this I recon - very nice kit and fit was excellent but will be my first and last 1/72nd as some pieces are too small and fiddly - Ill stick to 1/48th - Iv a D9 waiting for me , just got it off e-bay , has metal and etch parts so should be nice build

superb pics - looks like a real scramble to move around - no wonder so few survived hits by flak or fighters , Iv read it was very hard to escape from

The Main-spar made it the most difficult of the 3 heavies to escape from if you were in the front of the aircraft. Someting to think about when you are squezing though on a bright sunny day in shorts and TShirt is these guys had to struggle to the escape hatch in the cold and dark ,wearing bulky wintr flying suits and a chute while fighting G-forces. These guys had the same life expectancy as a Uboatman.

Active service in bomber command was the most dangerous occupation of the war and the only one not officialy recognised by the Brittish goverment after the war. These guys deservered a campain medal....

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Dave,

She's looking good M8.

Regarding the yellow tail planes and wing tips, are you going to paint black stripes over them ?

I've been reading allot of bomber crew stories lately and I remember it being mentioned that the lead aircraft in a formation would have yellow and black stripes painted to show that they were fitted with "GH" a later version of "Gee" which was a navigational/targeting device. The other bombers would follow their bomb run especially if there was "10/10ths" cloud cover.

cannon_fodder, I couldn't agree more about the bomber command guys getting a medal, they HAD to do a poop.gifty job in poop.gifty conditions !!

Snacko, nice video M8, I didn't realise anyone said "holy mackerel" any more !! LOL

~S~ Painless

• 2. Administrators

These guys deservered a campain medal....

Amen to that - a bloody disgrace in my view

Jabo

P.S. Nice looking model though, wish I could manage anything half as good.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Dave,

Very nice indeed M8. Love the bomb load, looks like 10x 1000 lbs + 4000 lbs cookie ?

Could well be that those yellow areas designated something similar, I'll try and find out:)

We will be standing in a Lanc bomb bay on the 13th July at Hendon with any luck !!

thanks for the replies -

@ painless - it is modled with the gh radar - in the later stages of the war they flew in daylight so maybe wing leader markings for formation?

@ coldgambler- once I work out my airbrush then Ill weather it a bit- there is a panel highlighter as well I might use -

http://www.promodeller.com/promodellers ... ring-wash/

but I dont want to attempt this until Im ready

S

dave