Is this worth it?

GreyKnight

It'll be a world apart from your current machine.

IT SURE WILL! It's just that I have the €600 spare, and I doubt I can anything better at this time.

But the shop that sells them, Hofer (which is Lidl in the UK), only has a limited stock and once the shop assistants have had theirs, they'll be sold out within 5 mins of opening. So I have to be quick.

Well I didn't bother going to get that one... I got this instead...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

4GB DDR2 RAM

2x 500GB HDDs

nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

...and a load of other unimportant crap that's not important to IL-2, including German Vista for €999. Which will be wiped asap and upgraded to XP Pro. Unfortunately I can't get it done for co-ops tonight, but will have it ready for Sundays SEOW.

Wu-Hooo!

• 3 weeks later...

Klinger wanted to know how my new PC performs, so here is the results of my first test...

IL-2 settings at PERFECT (as far as I can tell, Water=4 & Hardwareshaders=1 amongst others.)

Resolution: 1024x768 32bit

AntiAliasing: 8xQ

Anistrophic Filter: 4x

MipMap Detail: Trilinear

V-Sync: ON (60Hz)

Black Death track

2008-02-25 19:46:58 - il2fb

Frames: 8493 - Time: 150000ms - Avg: 56.620 - Min: 14 - Max: 740

Ignore that high of 740fps. The Black Death track ended just before Fraps stopped recording, that's why it's so high. But I don't know why it says a low of 14fps? I watched the entire track and never noticed any slowdown, even when there were huge explosions and AA fire going on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Oh wow GK, those shots of the carrier are sweet. Thought when I started reading this thread it looked like you were on the verge of getting a hot machine. Must remember the Aldi/Lidl thing cos it looks like a great deal, although I'd probably just do a straight guts transplant from the stock case to mine (I know it's sad, but I do like my PC case....)Just off now (yeah, I know it's 3:30 but I can't sleep) to have a fiddle with my gfx card to see if I can squeeze another erg out of it...

Jabo

I forgot to take a picture of the surf breaking on the beach. I'm not sure if this white foam was added to the new DLLs, but watching those waves travel around the coastline is fantastic too.

I think my kill/death ratio is going to suck from now on, as I'll be too busy looking down at the water instead of checking my 6.