Windows 10 - Upgraded From Windows 7

FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

Decided to upgrade my secondary pc (used for TS , 1946 hosting tools and test environment for CloD server) today...

Works nicely. Happy with the Upgrade, as all applications and settings get saved / transferred.

Another plus of this, is that it does not ask to register/logon with a microsoft account, so it won't automatically put all your documents and settings in OneDrive (Ms's cloud) 

Some issues found, yet all rather typical for my system me thinks:

A. It did not recognize my Sennheiser USB headset. Cause was the fact it was connected via a non powered USB Hub...

Connecting it to the mobo directly fixed it, it recognized it and installed its drivers. Reconnected it to the hub and it still works.

B. The CloD server - Atag ClodWatchdog combo did not start, the Watchdog found a generic error, and could not connect.

Not sure what the fix was, but it was either switching off the UAC (which I planned on doing anyways) or running the  'Launcher' once 'As Administrator' ... or maybe just letting them things get used to one and other...

C. Had one other 'Unknown Device', via its details I found out I needed a W10 driver for the AsRock Q1900M Motherboard, the Intel Sideband Fabric Device Driver. (wot?)

1946 works, TS works etc.

So, let's see what happens next .... 

• 1. DDz Quorum

There's a downside to an upgrade.... should you ever want a clean install or re-install, there's a good chance you will have to install Windows 7 first. And then upgrade to 10.

Why? Well, I tried a fresh install first, but it would not have anything of it, my Windows 7 Key was not correct, could not use it for W10.

The upgrade process does not ask for a key, so no problem there.

• 2. Administrators

There's a downside to an upgrade.... should you ever want a clean install or re-install, there's a good chance you will have to install Windows 7 first. And then upgrade to 10.

Why? Well, I tried a fresh install first, but it would not have anything of it, my Windows 7 Key was not correct, could not use it for W10.

The upgrade process does not ask for a key, so no problem there.

That's a potential problem right there, but is at odds to what MS are saying - I'll try with my laptop which has a per-installed win 7 to see if it makes a difference

• 1. DDz Quorum

Still waiting for mine to offer the upgrade, reserved but not yet available - the cascade has not got to me yet.

Perplexing there is not a straight to 10 install path, using a Win 7 or 8 key though.

Pain in the arse/ass that!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Local computer shop here has had it for a couple months.   Kind of a beta test thing I guess.  He said the normal user in the states wouldn't see it until Sept., then it would be given out according to when you applied.  Earliest to apply receiving it first.

Looks like the Euros are first in the Q.

• 1. DDz Quorum

You do not need to wait until it's offered to you, you can already download the ISO, or download/start a utility that'll create a bootable USB stick: (Not that you need the bootable part, you need to start the setup from within W7, as you'll be upgrading...)

See this page: 

Download Windows 10

On that page, a link is shown, to the Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

And here's Microsoft's words on the upgrade key stuff: (Some words colored red by me)

"

1. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter your product key. The product key should be in a purchase confirmation email if you bought Windows 10. It looks like this: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Note
    • If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

Hm, hold on, maybe you can still do a clean install?

But, like   and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past ... now, what's the deal with that?

I'm lost a bit...

Good Luck!

• 2. Administrators

Looks like there is a clean install path then provided you've activated before. Interesting. They (MS) must therefore be logging some information from the PC when it activates - I wonder what. MAC address perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1. DDz Quorum

Suspect they will be doing as they did before, creating some sort of checksum type hash against key components (disk CPU etc) and using that to crate a password of sorts.

• 2. Administrators

Ditto - taken the plunge and upgraded my gaming rig (7 Ultimate to 10 Pro) - everything seems to work flawlessly.with just a couple of small exceptions. Firstly 7zip which is throwing some peculiar errors (saying that .7z files are not archives and suchlike). I'll be looking into that over the next few days and secondly there seems to be a problem running some .exe files . No biggie but I'll need to look into that as well.

That aside though - I like it.

(I have disabled Cortana and hidden Edge though - lol)

Just updated one of my laptops.  During the update it said that I had to uninstall Acronis True Image to continue.  While this is a show-stopper for my main desktop, if I don't find other software problems that are too costly, I might upgrade that pc as well.  But I am in no hurry, and have this laptop to play with and test.  

The download took about 4 hours over wifi.  The install took about 1 hour+.  So far, so good.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Got one system her not liking the upgrade, youngest daughters AMD FX60 equipped system (yes it really is that old yet Skyrim and Fallout 3 play perfectly on it :)).

Goes through the motions, on one of the reboots it gets stuck.

Overnight even it still has that maddening whirly circle thing.

Time to roll up my sleeves I guess!

• 2. Administrators

So although I updated to Win 10 and quite liked it, after some minor problems which on further investigation became much larger ones, I'm back on Win 7 where I will stay for the forseeable. Once the problems are sorted I'll go back to it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

So, I decided to upgrade the gaming rig as well.

And, as others have reported - not here but on TS - an issue arised with controller assignment: For sure, Windows 10 can - and probably will - swap the order of the game controllers.

Windows 7 showed the MS FFB2 as first and Bodnarboard as secondary. Windows 10: the other way around.

So, one has to reassign the lot.

But, I have a utility for that: Misty!

Copy settings.ini to a temp folder, and rename it to settings.mis

Open settings.ini in notepad, and look through it, find JoystickDevice# and JoystickPov#

Now, if you have two controllers, you will find JoystickDevice0 and JoystickDevice2

For Pov, not too sure, I had a JoystickPov0 and JoystickPov4 

Anyways, the idea is to swap them!

So, use Misty on the temp folder, to first find JoystickDevice0 and replace it with JoystickDevice2

Next, find JoystickDevice1 and replace it with JoystickDevice0

Finally,  find JoystickDevice2 and replace it with JoystickDevice1

Similar for JoystickPov0 and 4 (or whatever values are in your ini file.)

That's all!

Rename settings.mis back to Settings.ini, and copy it back to your pilot folder.

And also to the Users folder, and name it Default.ini.

If you do not know or have Misty, you can try and PM me the Settings.ini f, and I'll convert them.

Edit: You do not need Misty, Notepad can do the same!

It's got a search/replace function!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Have you ever tried JoyIDs?

http://pjp-s-joyids.software.informer.com/

Not sure if it will solve your problem.  But it helps some apps that rely on joystick order.

Hm, for a once only change, I am not going to install any utility... and I'm pretty sure it does not do what is needed... Remember having seen it before... not of any use, only for really old games...

I just upgraded from Win 7 to 10. It took about 40 minutes and it was done. The only problem I found was CLoD would not launch. I did some checking and found where you need to disable Sweet FX. I did and it worked.

PS: Also had to update printer driver.

• Like 1

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the tip re. CLOD / SweetFX... 

I too have upgraded my gaming rig from Win 7 to 10 (only issue - had to reconfigure/save controller settings for each game)

Not been around for a while - just returned from holiday, upgraded OS, got all my racing sims (mods etc) up-to-date and now back on the flying scene.

Catch up with you soon,

Cheers,

John