Free Windows 10 Upgrade Just Popped Up On My Taskbar..

Snacko

This just showed up on my Taskbar today.  I just read that they announced a release date 20 minutes ago, then I noticed this new icon to Reserve my Free copy.

I normally don't get the new OS when it first comes out.  I'll let others beta test the release.  But for free I thought that i would reserve a copy.  Install it over a stock Windows 7 backup image that I have, and then back that up for later so I have Windows 10.  Worth a try to see how it works and get it for free.  I don't think the free offer will last more than a year.

post-440-0-63809200-1433165651_thumb.png

I never recommend being in the first group to get a new OS. Mostly because of bugs and other programs compatibility costs.

But if you can get it for free and keep running win 7,why not?

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 with Tapatalk.

I plan to register my interest for the FREE upgrade but won't rush to install it. I hear what Snacko says and it sounds like a good plan but I would just be careful... here's why... I recently upgraded my hardware and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 to a new SSD. When I booted the new system up, I received a message from Microsoft saying they had detected a new system build and required me to activate the OS by telephone.

Although a little protracted, this automated telephone process was successful and everything was OK. A few days later, I decided to hook up my old SSD as a slave to transfer important stuff across to the new SSD. My plan was to format the old SSD for future use when Windows 10 is released and keep Windows 7 on the other SSD as a fallback should there be any incompatibility issues with Windows 10.

However, as soon as I booted up the system, I got another message from Microsoft saying they had detected an illegal copy of the OS on my system... yeah... the one installed on the original SSD!

I decided to ignore this message, transfer my stuff pretty sharpish and format the drive. I haven't had any more messages since taking this action so clearly Microsoft knows if a system contains more than one instance of their OS. 

So, I'm just a little hesitant to consider upgrading (when available) just in case there is no way to go back?

I'm always highly suspicious when something purports to be FREE! 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Got windows 10 running here on 2 PCs, gaming rigs.

1 ATI and 1 nVidia, nVidia was easier for driver installs.

But so far Wifey and Son love it, the compatibility issues with Win8 are no longer evident, it is very fast to boot and light on resources.

I read that MS will offer free upgrade for a year, but after that there may be some sort of subscription model.

Although they have gone on record to say they will offer security and bug fix updates indefinitely.

Got windows 10 running here on 2 PCs, gaming rigs.

I read that MS will offer free upgrade for a year, but after that there may be some sort of subscription model.

Although they have gone on record to say they will offer security and bug fix updates indefinitely.

So thats their plan eh, get everyone hooked and then start charging a subscription :growl:

I wish M$ would wake up and smell the coffee.... maybe they have this time?

All Apple products are shipped with the OS, regular updates are free and new versions are either free or subject to a very nominal charge.

I've owned PC's since the earlier 80's but the only reason I have one today is for this damn flying.. Oh, and Racing and EuroTrucking!

For everything else it's MAC, MAC, MAC..... simples!

Apple products are proprietary, and of course they have their software(OS) with the device. But Windows runs on a open system architecture that anyone can build and install any OS that they decide on. So Windows in like an "optional" part, and they need to be paid, since they don't necessarily make anything off the product being sold.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 with Tapatalk.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there someplace to ask for it, or do you have to wait for an invite?

Win7 (run the 'check for windows updates' - once the system has the latest updates installed, a message pops up asking if you want to accept Win 10 when it is available - well that's what happened to me anyway!

• Like 1