NEW DISCORD SERVER DETAILS - SIGN UP NOW - Dogz Members Only Private Thread ×

I Flew Today, For Real

rox

I flew a real airplane today for the first time, and in Iran of all places :D

The Columbian Ibis Aircraft Magic GS 700 LSA (I think, if not it was some other Magic), powered by a 100HP Austrian made engine, flew it from a recreational airfield north of Shiraz

We went to this airfield because we heard they offered glider flights very cheap. Sure enough they had two gliders, a Blanik and some other older motor glider (metal not fiberglass), but for some administrative reasons we couldn't fly in those at this time (they are government owned). We could however fly in light single engine craft that were privately owned. I was fairly disappointed because I love gliders and yet have never flown in one, while I've flown in small single engined craft twice (but never touched the controls). Still I took half an hour flight while my friends took a full hour. If I had known that I would be allowed to fly the plane 90% of the time I'd take an hour as well.

Anyway my pilot was a very nice guy (like 95% of Iranians I met) and knew great english, explained everything to me about the instruments and take off procedure (basics that I knew and engine related stuff that I didn't) and so we went, he let me pull back on the stick during takeoff while he did the rudder, and later handed everything over to me only interfering a few times when I messed up a bit more significantly like letting my nose drop too much. I had a bit of trouble with the rudder pedals since I'm on a twisty stick, good thing it was a yoke and not a stick because I'd probably try to twist it while flying.

Flying itself, was amazing. Especially comparing it to the game, it was rather turbulentish and you could feel every wisp and bump in the air, almost as if you're riding in a jeep offroad, the nose bobbed left and right all the time, and the biggest difference of all was that you could actually feel every input you make and every movement of the plane in your own body. We flew maybe 10 meters beside an eagle which then literally broke away from as as an airplane would.

Couldn't take any photos from the air since OMG spies (and an oil refinery nearby that we passed by car while on the way to the airfield that actually has AAA guarding it), but I have a few from the hangar and runway.

Half an hour flight cost around 35$, in Croatia it's around 100$.

Getting a PPL in Iran costs only 3000$ and the guy says it's probably the cheapest in the world (in Croatia it's some 9000$), however I was told that as a foreigner I couldn't apply because of security issues (read: shitty regime thinks I'll recon their stuff). If this ever changes in the future and the price remains three times cheaper than back home I will seriously consider doing this in Iran (I can get here and back home for 500$ overland), it's just an opportunity not to be missed.

Anyway really unexpectedly awesome day for me. Cheers from a warm Shiraz B)