Got Bored And Created This:

PropNut

My wife sometimes comments that I have too much time on my hands considering that I have not yet finished writing my thesis.

Perhaps she is right....yesterday I came upon a Saitek AV8TR joystick which has 5 axis and 18 buttons. I picked it up for 23.00. I already own a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and some of you have seen the thread that I posted about my rollout simpit. What do I do with this thing? Well....tear it apart and make a flight control button box of course! :D

The box is 1/2" (12mm) high density baltic birch plywood, the removable control panel itself is 1/8" (3mm) Baltic birch plywood with a 1/4" (6mm) removable bottom. The control panel was cut out on my CNC router table, the vinyl lettering and borders were made on my vinyl cutter. The entire thing was sprayed in black latex paint.

There is a good reason that I have no pictures of the insides, it looks like a rat's nest in there. I am not a great wiring engineer, it looks like spaghetti but at least it does work.

I wish that I had the knowledge and could make my own electronics but the occasional joystick guts work just fine for now.

The box is recognized in windows as the Saitek AV8TR, it would be nice if I could program my own, etc.

Obviously I do not need this box, so it will be up on Ebay in a few days or weeks, whenever I get around to it. I just wanted to share my latest project.

I could label each button, switch and axis but I do not know what they would be used for at this time. Hate to use up label tape and have it all removed by the person who gets it as they want the buttons to be something else. Maybe I will let them know I will make some labels for them and they can put them on themselves.

Thanks for looking,

David

DSC06132.jpg

DSC06139.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

Pretty much what I have into it. I replaced the cheap pots with Bourne blue pots, some toggles and admittedly cheap momentary buttons. 50.00 USD would do it. But shipping to the UK would be expensive. 50-75 USD for shipping.

I had 4 controllers going in IL-2 at one time, two BU0836 boards, one Thrustmaster HOTAS setup, and my Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Five if you consider I am not using the Thrustmaster profile software which combines to the two HOTAS controllers. So IL-2 sees them as two different controllers.

But would you rather I made you a custom button box Jabo? Using a BU0836 with 8 axis, and 40 buttons? You come up with the idea and pay for the parts and shipping, and maybe a small remuneration for my time, and I can make it customized for your needs.

This one is a just generic using a low level controller.

• 2. Administrators

Hmmm. Now then....Let me have a think about features and I'll come back to you (I've already got a BU0836X which I can send you for the guts of the thing.)

• 2. Administrators

Nooo, that's fine, I'd be delighted to have a PropNut button box, but I need to have a think about features and then get the finances in place before we go too far with this and I certainly don't want you spending time on this when you've family and thesis things to do. Those come first.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

How about just building the box, then flatpack it over here for people to but their own electronics in at their leisure. Less time consuming maybe.

I like those perspex levers you have on yours, are they homemade or OTS?

Jabo

That would work, I can cut the parts out, paint them and apply the vinyl and mail them to you.

The levers I made on my CNC machine. They were a lot that I did a year or so ago and never got around to using them. Usually I make the levers out of high density Baltic birch plywood. This way they can be sanded and painted in different colors. Easier to look at the color than read the labels sometimes when Sweper is on your tail ;)

I will try to get a picture of the "guts" on the lever assembly. They are composed of the levers, pulley wheels, rubber "O" rings, aluminum brackets, potentiometers and a brass rod to use as a pivot for the levers. I can adjust the throw of the levers by making the pulleys smaller or larger. So far I have just adjusted the end points in the software though.

On a side note, you might like the idea that A.P. Hill came up with when I built his button box. He has a space in his computer desk that is designed to hold his computer case. Since he did not put his case there it was just a large empty space (much like my head according to my wife) ;) I built him a button box that slid out from that space which faced him at an angle. Sort of like the instrument panel in a modern fighter jet. But you can slide it back in and out of the way when not in use.

Perhaps I can get AP to post some pictures.

David

• 2. Administrators

I remember seeing AP's pics when you built that for him. That was very nice.

I'd like the levers as well, although I'd need you to build the mechanism - I'm hopeless with that sort of thing,

I've got an possible layout which I've been playing with. I'll PM it across to see what you think.

A sliding one is a nice idea, but I've no room for that. I could however build a removable extension to my desk to support it. Roughly, what weight is that one you just put together?

Jabo