Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Usb Joystick Precision?

Thinking of alternatives to my X45 Hotas. The stick is starting to get a little sloppy in the center position.

Now I think you guys seem to like the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 USB Joystick, is this the correct model? How is the stick accuracy? If you have to Alt-Tab out of the sim do you lose the force feedback function, I am sure somebody told me that, think it was Toad. Any comment or tips will be appreciated.

Yes, it is a great stick. Most of us turn off the force feedback feature. It has a strong self centering spring. Leaving it on can make shooting awkward. The stick bounces all over the place when you use cannon.

I thought that was the reason to get the stick, to be able to feel a stall coming on. I thought the gun shake could be turned off allowing the stick only to give you feedback about flight conditions.

Yes, it is a great stick. Most of us turn off the force feedback feature. It has a strong self centering spring. Leaving it on can make shooting awkward. The stick bounces all over the place when you use cannon.

I thought that was the reason to get the stick, to be able to feel a stall coming on. I thought the gun shake could be turned off allowing the stick only to give you feedback about flight conditions.

That's true.

• 2. Administrators

I bought one this afternoon off fleabay, I also have an old stick to butcher for a button bay and the X52 joystick will be relegated to the spares shelf just in case.

Jabo

So it sounds like I should pickup a ffb2. I hope it will not be too complicated to reduce effect on stick from firing cannon & guns.

There are rebuilt ones on Ebay for $156.00 plus shipping (one year warranty) It’s what I would have to pay if I don’t want to wait for something else and take my chance that its not worn out.

Also will it be difficult to get the sim to recognize the ffb2 as the primary stick so I can fiddle with settings if I chose to?

If I am not mistaken, there is a throttle on base of stick, can this be used for something other than throttle?

I would still have my X45 stick hooked up, will I have to load software for both sticks (so I will have 2 programs running in regards to joysticks), many problems with that?

Also, what about losing force feedback it I Alt – Tab out of sim? Am I recalling that right? If so is there any way of restoring the ffb afterwards or is it just lost for that session unless I re-launch the sim?

• 2. Administrators

As far as I know m8, there's no problem with having more than 1 stick installed in Windows. You just need to ensure that the axes in-game are mapped to the correct controller. As I'm also going to be using the throttle component of my X52, I intend to map the throttle slider on the MSFFB to a separate control (probably pitch trim) after all, the computer and game have no awareness that this input is 'supposed' to be the throttle, so you could map it to whatever you like.

My current thinking having done a little research is to use a BU0836A joystick controller board and run the following on an external panel.

Magnetos x8 - (Thinking ahead to 4 engines!) - Throw Switches

Fuel Cocks x4 - (Ditto) - 3 posn Rotary Switches

Nav, Landing and Cockpit lights plus Gunsight Illumination - Switches

Pitch, Roll and Yaw Trim on sliders (Free single rtation pots)

First step will probably be a proof of concept just for the lighting (I know, I'm a coward - lol)

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

FFB loss only lasts, in my experience, until you respawn.

Not so bad in a DF but in a Co-Op a pain.

So don't alt-tab unless you have died/landed.

Replacing the FFB files is dead easy, once you have the files, as it is simply a case of copying the files over the old ones.

I have attached 2 zip files containing (if my memory serves me well - but I can't remember the last time it did) modified ffe files.

Backup the contents of the ForceFeedback directory in your install, and extract the contents of either zip to that directory.

I think they are two variations on tuning, so experimentation is in order ;)

And yes, I should have put these in the vault but want to be a hypocrite today :sheepsmile:

ForceFeedback.zip

ForceFeedback2.zip

Not so bad in a DF but in a Co-Op a pain.

So don't alt-tab unless you have died/landed.

Replacing the FFB files is dead easy, once you have the files, as it is simply a case of copying the files over the old ones.

I have attached 2 zip files containing (if my memory serves me well - but I can't remember the last time it did) modified ffe files.

Backup the contents of the ForceFeedback directory in your install, and extract the contents of either zip to that directory.

And yes, I should have put these in the vault but want to be a hypocrite today :sheepsmile:

Thank you for the files, I have downloaded them as well as your instructions and will start with them when I can get a stick, hopefully soon!

So if I am still using my X45 setup for throttle and button bay I will have to load software for both sticks?

• 1. DDz Quorum

No software for MSFFB2 with Win7.

So no macros for it, but you can assign buttons to actions.

There is commercial software that can program both though..

• 2. Administrators

what OS are you on, MSFFB software doesn't work past XP, so you just use the FFB on the windows drivers. Works fine for the stick though, you just can't do any fancy reprogramming of the joystick, ie 'button 4' = 'alt x' etc....

what OS are you on, MSFFB software doesn't work past XP, so you just use the FFB on the windows drivers. Works fine for the stick though, you just can't do any fancy reprogramming of the joystick, ie 'button 4' = 'alt x' etc....

OK, I have XP

What do you mean by "so you just use the FFB on the windows drivers" Is this to say that windows has FFB drivers and I don't use the ones that come on the disk? Is this only for Windows above XP?

"you just can't do any fancy reprogramming of the joystick" this comment is in regards to anything higher that XP, yes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I tryed to downlöad those 2 files but:

[#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment.