Il2 Cliffs Of Dover Walkthrough/first Impressions

Wow, nice find Trooper :thumbsu: Most informative thing I've seen so far. I hope the Beaufighter is flyable! Did you notice the micro-stutters? Didn't RoF suffer from something like this? Wasn't it something to do with how many cores the cpu used on exec. when running win7 64bit?

Wow, nice find Trooper :thumbsu: Most informative thing I've seen so far. I hope the Beaufighter is flyable! Did you notice the micro-stutters? Didn't RoF suffer from something like this? Wasn't it something to do with how many cores the cpu used on exec. when running win7 64bit?

Not sure Athur. I'm sure that with time they are going to fix bugs and make this sim the best ww2 simm ever created :)

I thought micro-stutters were mainly disk I/O based, well they were with my problems with micro-stutters in other games. You know when you play a game and you travel somewhere new, and the game has to quickly load something from disk in to RAM. Add in some anti-virus software that scans all activity, then all these disk I/O loads add tiny delays to the game. Disable real-time protection from your AV software and it helps.

Fantastic surroundings. Grass flowers trees, expected to see Ferdinand The Bull sitting under an oak tree sniffing at flowers. Exhaust flames, cool, would look nice on a night mission with 20 B-17´s. Also, landing on a field seems relative smooth without this bumbing and tipping over the nose thing like it is now in IL-2. Or I´m just a lousy pilot...

• 2. Administrators

Having d/l'd the Russian version and given it a try, I can say it looks as good as the videos we've been seeing. I'm still in the process of finding my way around the menus, but the whole thing looks pretty polished to me.

I can confirm that 6DOF works straight out of the box (TIR5)

One thing I like is the anthromorphic controls option which if used prevents loads of buttons being pressed simultaneously as your pilot only has two hands and needs one on the controls! People with macros programmed into HOTAS setups beware!! (I count myself in this number!)

All in all, so far, great. Hurrah!

Jabo

P.S. My preorder status has changed from 'submitted' to 'in progress'

• 2. Administrators

Same as the international version, but in Russian. Oddly, it also reverses my joystick axes which makes flying interesting to say the least.

Key Specs;

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

Memory - 4 x 1GB DDR2 Ballistix

Gfx - Nvidia GTX580 3GB

Sorry about the gfx, I had a moment of insanity...

Jabo

One thing I like is the anthromorphic controls option which if used prevents loads of buttons being pressed simultaneously as your pilot only has two hands and needs one on the controls! People with macros programmed into HOTAS setups beware!! (I count myself in this number!)

You mean to say that my "extend flaps + hard right rudder + hard left elevator + close radiator+ reduce throttle+ turn on nav lights+ fire cannon + make cuppa tea + zoom out view + full elevator trim" macro won't work anymore?

THAT'S IT, I'm cancelling my pre-order!

Despite all the hubbub, I'm confident based on past support that 1C will be issuing a series of patches that will correct 80% of problems within 2 months...

My primary concern is that they do so PRIOR to the North American release; if they don't the game review sites are going to eviscerate ClOD, imho. That would be a real shame...

There seems to have been a confluence of a slightly pre-mature release, and an (overly) ambitious number of features to future-proof the product... this later point is actually a "silver lining" as I expect that in 5 years we'll have the hardware to play this new engine in all it's glory and be truly blown away. As has been stated, when the Berlin map came out, the hardware available was simply incapable of keeping up. I'm not surprised that the same is true of London in ClOD. I imagine that in 5 years we'll be able to fly over a non-slideshow London with some traffic on the streets and a full-blown Blitz being flown over the roof-tops.

I do plan to get ClOD once I've bought a new rig in the next six months. In fact, I may order ClOD now so as to provide 1C with some support.

Bit of a shame about the whole release boondoggle, but in the end I'm sure it will all come out OK.

C_G

As I've said, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some are saying. I just had a lovely sightseeing tour around Dover and was most impressed with the details. I was happy to see smoke coming from random chimneys (live 3D, not the IL2 static stuff), and a couple of windmills turning in the breeze (Did they use them in England?). My wife was even impressed (especially with the golf course)! I'm having a blast flying CLOD (even as I'm having fits with the menus).

• 2. Administrators

my first impressions.

It has the potential to be awesome, and i'm sure it will be in the future, it looks stunning.

however, at the moment its still beta imo.

hopefully the patch thats coming in the next few days will help a lot of the optimisation problems.