Lucky Mustang Pilot!

BluBear

At Flying Legends Duxford 2008 one of the P-51s had a little incident:

Clicky Here

I was at the other end of the field at the time but saw it just at the end of it's 'arrival'!

Quite a hairy situation in which the pilot involved shows cool calm skill in making the best of a bad situation.

Note: The ramp is in fact the rise to the hard taxi-way, the engine quit before the threshold and the Mustang doesn't glide that far without the fan a' spinnin!

I was about to post that and title it "DangerDogz pilot?" but as I analyzed it it became clear he got engine cut off and had to touch down earlier than planned. Close call indeed but very nice save. Hope the aircraft didn't take too much damage besides the gear.

• 2. Administrators

Ouch, lucky to get away with a busted wheel there. Especially as 'Helen is a B-C model with an Allison engine (I think). Not too many of those about. I'm guessing that happened on the Sunday, 'cos I don't remember it from the Saturday. Might be the DDz-induced alcoholic haze though.

Jabo

I think you may be getting confused with the ex-duxford P-51C 'Princess Elizabeth' mate. She is now stateside and very much Merlin powered. Miss Helen is a D model and incidentally a lot of the airframe is genuinely the original Miss Helen that flew with the 352nd FG from Bodney.

This incident happened at the end of the show Sunday, having had engine problems all weekend. (Deadstick on landing roll Saturday)

@kimo

Not exactly, it is operated with the respect and consideration expected of such an exhibit of history by the very experienced owners of these aircraft. The engine troubles never manifested themselves on the ground, at some point you have to air test if no problems are found on terra firma. This was done during the day on the Sunday as I understand after working on it overnight which revealed no obvious faults.

As I recall the flight test during the day was successful, however the pilot started experiencing rough running during formation flying during the show. As it transpires the problem was associated with quick adjustment of throttle settings (keeping in formation) and of course during landing when the power is worked often. As you can see the Merlin finaly gave up the ghost after a power adjustment short of the threshold.

An unfortunate incident definitely, but not I believe as a result of negligence on the part of the operator! One of those things. At the least no one was hurt and the aircraft was in one piece!

• 2. Administrators

'Helen' has had something of a chequered past if memory serves. I have a feeling she ended up in a field a few years back after what the CAA referred to as an 'off-airfield landing' lol. The good news is that she has since been repaired and the pilot (Rob Lamplough) only needed a clean pair of trousers.

Jabo