Needs Suggestions For A Good Single Stick.

Snacko

Hey, I have an uncle who is about 70 years old. He want's to learn IL2, and needs a good joystick. And he only has one hand. He lost his right hand in an accident when he was about 25 years old.

What joystick can you suggest? Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

Something stable with a lot of buttons and a throttle all on one stick.

Thanks,

Snacko

My suggestion is that whatever he gets, it would be essential to get hold of some sticky-back Velcro to locate the stick-base firmly onto the desk. The AV8R video showed up just how useless the rubber feet are, and I can say from experience that this would be fairly useless and frustrating for a one-handed person.

I found a source for Velcro up to 6 inches wide and I use it to hold my pedals to the inclined plate on my play seat. Most hardware shops should be able to obtain it. If your uncle didn't want to stick Velcro to his computer desk, which is understandable, then I recommend a sheet of ply the size of the desk, which can have the Velcro on it, and which can be secured to the desk by small thumbscrews. I would bet he has a few of the latter in his workshop - I need plenty to manage the problems of holding work steady while I saw, hammer or drill stuff.

B

Yeh, I mentioned on Coms yesterday that Brando would know.

But I think Brando used the Franken potato Modded CH stick :huh:

Pretty expensive for starting out.

Brando I used to use Velcro myself.

But have since gave that up, after trying the no skid rubber woven pads for Kitchen drawers.

You can cut ti to fit your needs, I have it under both sticks and my pedals.

You can see it in this picture.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v37/T_O_A_D/IL2%20AEP%20PF%20pics/?action=view&current=DSC00505.jpg

If your using a none dedicated Simpit area, it makes it easier to move things about as needed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do like the Cyborg X, but was worried about it being unstable with only 3 feet and not a big flat base to secure it down. It seems like it would tip over very easy. Is that a problem Jabo?

That Avaitor does have a nice big flat base to it, which would be easy to secure.

Yea, the first person I PM'ed was Brando. He gave me some good suggestions, but has a custom setup. I don't think my uncle will want to spend too much in the beginning until he sees if this hobby is good for him. He will be getting TrackIR and IL2 also for XMas, so that is a good start. I hope that he enjoys it. I told his wife that I can drive up to Chicago and help him out after XMas if he would like that. It is a lot of new stuff for a 70 year old to figure out on his own. Old Dogs/New Tricks kind of thing...