new monitor

delta7

I plan to get a new monitor soon - I currently have a 19" viewsonic and plan to go to 22" but there is a reasonably priced 24" Benq at overclockers.co.uk

The only problem is it looks HUGE in photos when sitting next to a 19", has anyone recently moved up from 19" to 22" or 24" and if so what are your impressions/ recommendations

my thoughts are LGW2286L LED

I have a 24" Benq G2400W LCD with 5ms response time, I can't really say that it bothers me any though. Can't even say I notice the difference between 2ms and 5ms. It's also pretty individual from maker to maker how they measure response time. Some can measure from black to white to black, others can do it on a grey to grey measurement, which doesn't really mean anything because black to white to black is the measurement you want. Anywhoo, you won't see the difference, the older monitors which had 16-25ms response time had a slightly noticable difference to them ie. ghosting and so forth. Everything below 16ms is very hard to notice any difference. Ghosting is almost non-existant these days.

What you really want to focus on is native resolution and contrast ratio.

Oh, and a 24" will grow on ya. Before you know it you will think it's too small. Makes a world of difference(and immersion) going from 19"-24".

I bought a 24" Digimate from OverclockersUK about a year ago. It has a native resolution of 1900x1200 @ 60Hz and scales better than the increasingly available 1920x1080. It cost about £120 if I remember rightly.

I switched from a 19" Iiyama CRT, capable of 1600x1200@100Hz, a real beauty; so I wasn't particularly expecting this cheap panel to be as good as it is. But it has really transformed my desktop work, especially since Windows 7 came along. And 24" isn't a monster size, really. You'll soon be dreaming of a 32" ;)

Go for it. 5ms is fine.

B :dog:

Dave,

I originally had a square, 19" monitor and a few months back bought a BenQ 23" widescreen monitor (http://benq.at/products/LCD/index.cfm/page/specifications/product/1122) and I love it!

I have my little 19" to the right of it, so I can play games on the 23", and watch live sports streams on the 19". Life is good!

I have no qualms with it and even though it's 5ms, the 4000:1 contrast is great.

I'm holding out for 32" to 40"

So I can have a life size single cockpit view.

I hope my 20"CRT allows me the time to hold out on affordability.

Brando 60mhz is all it does?

Do the panels make this smoother to the eye than a CRT?

I have to ave no less than75mhz to see things smoothly.

Yeah, 60 Hertz is the standard refresh rate for pretty well all TFT/LCD monitors - but don't worry about it. 60Hz on a flat-panel-screen looks as good as a 100Hz on a CRT.

The main thing to look for is a good contrast ratio and an absence of dead pixels when the thing is delivered. Make sure that there is a guarantee regarding dead pixels and RMA'ing

I went from an 18" viewSonic (flat screen) to a 25.5 viewSonic and does seem HUGE... but you get used it in regular use. In IL2 it rocks as the screen extends to a decent amount of the peripheral vision increasing immersion.

I also kept the 18" and placed it to the right of the 25.5 which has given me a chance to try out TouchBuddy, amongst other things.

Personally, if the 24" isn't much more expensive than the 22" I would go for it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Dave,

I have had a "tearing" problem lately and have done a little reading up on the causes including monitor issues.

You may already know this but the 60Hz is the rate at which the monitor can show a frame IE 60fps. Most graphics cards put out 120fps so that is why the Vsync

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Samsung SyncMaster T260HD. It's also a TV and I love it. It lost 2-3 pixels right next to each other about 1cm from the bottom about 8 months after I got it. But it's at the edge so I don't really notice anymore. And they won't replace it until you loose about 15 I think.

I also have a 6 year old Mitsubishi that works fine and has never lost a pixel.

ITs here -

no dead pixels :)

initiall impressions is its very bright - have done the calibration and set to 120HZ

get 80 fps av on black death with vsync on and looks great

Ill see how it is online later on to see if it improves the draw as the lod becomes a plane

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to do a big comparison test on this new 120HZ monitor but its hard to define

It is certainly better, I can see detail much clearer and that small stutter seems to have gone as the plane changes from dot to plane at about 500m , I can see planes against ground better but can still lose them on certain maps , but I cant pin down what has improved this

1) there is my increase in speed from 8ms to 2ms

2) Increase in refresh from 60 to 120 HZ

3) On screen calibration - there are varied prebuilt setting and Im using a dynamic contrast one which seems best to me

4) Increased size

I am very happy with it but couldnt honestly recommend 120hz as THE answer but a nice combination of the above has improved my graphics

S