Thoughts on Creating Persistant Ship Damage for IL-2 Campaigns

• 2. Administrators

I like the idea of #3 DT, although as you say, this may be impractical, esp later in the campaign as damage (hopefully) becomes more widespread.

I think #2 may be the only practical solution, as reducing the AAA and speed of 'damaged' ships will make it easier to get in closer and therefore improve accuracy despite the number of hits required to sink being the same.

I don't suppose there's any way of increasing the ship's vulnerability to damage? (I was going to say 'hp' there, but a bit too D&D I thought!

Well the respawning ship could simulate the damage control made by the crews, they would not be able to repair things like guns, but flooding can be contained and pumped. It is an imperfekt system, but unless a lot of work is put into it, damaging ships is quite a difficult thing to do. If you gt for admin damage, DT would have to put an exact amount of firepower in the exact right spot. The sim has quite a bit of problem with ship damage. After all it is a flight sim and not a naval simulator.

I read somewhere about the official 4.09 having "triggers".

A certain event triggers AI to do something.

Taking off triggers an AI plane to inflict damage? A hit (50% damage) triggers the AI to RTB?

If they're going to add it there is probably a mod for it??

Yknow, he may be onto something. Most heavily damaged ships withdraw from combat areas as quickly as they can, Though I think DTs first idea is pretty good to.

(I know Ive not been in on this cmpn yet, but Ive got a bit of experience in the FMB, so.....).

I copied a technique Dubbo (bless him in whatever universe he is in) used in his priceless "castaways" cmpn; I've made misns where I wanted the flyer to take off from a damaged base or one that is under attack and pass very near destroyed and burning planes, or have them explode before he gets to them. I place an enemy heavy AA (85,88,76) very near the selected static plane, pointed toward it so it won't engage anything else. It will fire and destroy said plane nearly the instant the misn starts, and is so close that explosion destroys it as well. I have to be careful not to allow friendly AA to have a chance to fire at it, or friendly fire will be going everywhere.

I don't know how the static PTs or subs or small corvette like ships do,or but perhaps an experiment to see if they fire torps enough to damage said ship in a reasonable time before they are destroyed by the ships return fire etc.

I just don't have time to experiment with this right now, but it might bear some interesting results. I don't even know if a static torp armed boat etc will fire the fish or not, so you might have to have it moving.

AND PERHAPs a smaller vessel can be programmed to COLLIDE with the larger ship, as that usually causes some serious damage to the big ones and always results in small ones sinking. This would take a bit of experimentation to see which types would avoid sinking both, and to see if it works better with a friendly ship or an enemy one with gunfire adding to the effect. Maybe the little rusky subchaser types etc. Rig it where there would be a few seconds before any of the involved forces arrived.

Im not sure what size the colliding ship would have to be, or even what damage it inflicts, but Ive seen ships sink after they collide. Im pretty sure I saw a Bismark collide with a small vessel and survive once, but Im not sure how much of the damage it had came from the collision.

Dubbo referred to this as "set dressing".

Yeah, ships AI is pretty unreliable and certainly illogical. They have always been a weekpoint in any cmpn or misn Ive made, so I usually try to limit it to just some turns and and adjustments to Brains and ROF.

I really don't think this can be re-created with any regularity or reliability.