New Toy

Blairgowrie

I am now the part owner of a 1994 Hitachi EX400. My logging buddy bought it at a Ritchie Auction yesterday. He has a float and a shop with a full time mechanic so it will go there first to be fully checked out then it will be delivered here. I will use it for some serious pond digging and peat moss removal. I have always wanted an excavator but have been afraid of big repair bills. This arrangement is perfect for me. The price was $20,000 so with taxes my share is $10,500.

This is not the actual machine but is a pic of a 1989 EX400.

Hitachi-EX400.jpg

:bg:

I'm happy for you.

But I hope you realize you can have a $20,000 repair on a machine that size, overnight.

Simple things like the Hydraulics can cost up to $5,000 easily, not to mention the final drives, Engine, or even simple track pad replacement.

It looks like your area is fairly soft, so I'm thinking the wear and tear will be minimal compared to my area. Solid Rock, I took these pics a couple years ago when I worked for that crooked Construction Company.

115kaw003.jpg

115kaw001.jpg

BG,

You gonna operate it yourself?

That's the plan John. It might take me a while to get the hang of operating it properly but by the end of the first day I should be able to move some dirt. It didn't take me long to learn how to operate a backhoe. I'll need some instruction at first and have to be careful not to get into trouble. This is one very powerful excavator and I could do some real damage if I am not careful.

How many more ponds does a man want?

I think this is a cover up, BG found an old paper on his addic, describing the bureal of some treasure on his land somewhere....

Giving the fact that his land is as big as Belgium, he will be digging for another 100 years...that's where the "partners" come in....remember the pics of the so called "loggers" that came by?

A very smart move of BG I must say..."Ey m8tie, dig a hole here, I got some good dirt for you in return"....

I'm just waiting for the invitation BG is gonna send to all the DD's for a so called "workvacation" to his estate....he's just working up the sceem and how to make us dig holes for him without us knowing the real reason.

Gratz on the new buy BG, and good luck with it

It is a humungeous machine at 91,000 lbs. We really wanted something around the 50,000 lb mark but they were all selling for twice as much. On the plus side it will be able to dig fast with a huge bucket and has a long reach. Because I will be digging it myself, I will make sure the pond is nice and deep.

I am so looking forward to it showing up.

It is an interesting property Tribunus. Some of it runs along a ridge with huge gravel deposits. The ridge drops off to a swamp and that's where the peat moss is. The springs come out at the base of the ridge and because it is gravel, the water is pur and crystal clear.

Wow, that's a lot of different Eco Systems for one piece of land.

I went to see my new toy today. Holy jeez it is massive! The bucket is 60" wide. The boom is 23', the stick is 12'. Add another 4' for the bucket and the reach is therefore 39'.

My partner is busy checking it out. It has a bad leak in the hydraulic pump but the new parts will be in this week and he hopes to be able to deliver it by the end of the week. He wants to repaint it but will wait for the winter when things are quiet. The meter shows only 9,000 hours which is not much on these big machines.

[attachment=1]

I went to see my new toy today. Holy jeez it is massive! The bucket is 60" wide. The boom is 23', the stick is 12'. Add another 4' for the bucket and the reach is therefore 39'.

My partner is busy checking it out. It has a bad leak in the hydraulic pump but the new parts will be in this week and he hopes to be able to deliver it by the end of the week. He wants to repaint it but will wait for the winter when things are quiet. The meter shows only 9,000 hours which is not much on these big machines.

5_8f7ae3ea8078b01fa405bf499897204b

Knowing Jim, in 5 years he'll resell it during the next construction boom for three times as much as he paid for it!

PS That thing is HUGE! Your wife really gives it a sense of scale that was missing from the previous image you posted.

Funny you should mention that Angus. My partner figures if we painted it up, it would fetch double the price we paid for it.