audio connection front

1x 80mm rear Fan included

Hard Drive

Seagate

500Gb Sata 2 7200RPM

Power Supply

Antec - OCZ - Corsair - Seasonic

450W minimum

All of the above mounted with win installed, for the price of: 1095$ CDN. Do you think it is worth it?

Thanks.

• 2. Administrators

Looks good MT, three points though;

1) I suspect that a 450W power supply will have to run maxed out to power the kit you're proposing, thus shortening it's lifespan - I suggest a 650W absolute minimum - much bigger if you want to go SLI later (maybe 800 - 1000W)

2) Graphics card is pretty old now, what would they charge you for one of the new Nvidia or ATI cards?

3) The whole thing looks a little light on cooling - You might want to see if they can shoehorn an intake fan in at the front of the case

Other than that though - nice looking rig, especially with the i7 and DDR3 RAM

~S~ Jabo

Does it come with an OS? If so, better than OK!

A few caveates:

The Ram needs to be at least 3GB (3 x 1GB), that system does triple channel memory. That speed rating is fine though.

The case sounds weak, 1 x 80mm rear exhaust is so 90's. The vid card is enought to get up and running, easy to replace and good spare card then.

The PSU will be OK if it is one of those name brands, except the OCZ because it's version in that wattage won't have the proper connectors. You won't need more than 450W unless you plan on a monster video card later, or a ton of HDs and fans.

It's not a bad package, especially if it is a local store. It isn't cheap to get into a core i7, when you need more than the basics. Factor in that it is a complete system, it's fair enough.

----------------------------------------

I started a price analysys thread on the minimum cost to enter i7, back when it first came out. Just recently, I updated the prices, here's my last post:

Core i7 system with minimum requirements of:

Core i7 CPU

X58 Motherboard

3GB kit of triple channel ram

This means you need to already have compatible: case, psu, video card and drives.

Back in Nov 08, listed a price low of

$932

Within time the price had dropped to

$799

And now, May 2009 a new low of:

$618

I don't like the mobo even though it is the cheapest cost, so have optioned for the new Asus P6T SE:

$662

The SE does not have all solid caps, so going with the regular P6T (which does) will cost you only another $35 for a total of:

$697

CPU $340 pricematch at TigerDirect:

Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GTs QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, HyperThreading, Bloomfield, Retail, Proces in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

Ram $63 - $64

OCZ Gold Tri Channel 3GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 3072MB (3 x 1024) OCZ3G1600LV3GK in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

or

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ 3GB DDR3 3X1GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada

Mobo $215, $259 or $294 respectively:

NCIX.com - Buy MSI X58 Pro X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard - X58 PRO In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P6T SE X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SATA2 Motherboard - P6T SE In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard - P6T In Canada.

Well I dont like to be laugh at so are you laughing at me ?

Not me pal - I was just having a dig at Tonar for his use of the old "arm and a leg" joke , that makes us amputees squirm so much. None of it is intended to be a joke at your expense, I'm sure.

Sorry to trespass on your thread - I hope you have fun with your new rig, it sounds great.

Well I dont like to be laugh at so are you laughing at me ?

Not me pal - I was just having a dig at Tonar for his use of the old "arm and a leg" joke , that makes us amputees squirm so much. None of it is intended to be a joke at your expense, I'm sure.

Sorry to trespass on your thread - I hope you have fun with your new rig, it sounds great.

X2 Trooper.