Tonar

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1. DDz Quorum

Tonar, you don't need a Codec unless it is the 2nd IL2 disk with the movies on it.

The IL2 setup DVD is a data disk and should be readable by explorer.

You sure you got the right disk?

Can you right click it and select 'explore'?

• 2. Administrators

Yep, I use a grounded mat with sits on the bench top and a wriststrap which connects me to the mat. Probably overkill, but I always felt that was preferable to blowing things up.

~S~ Jabo

Awesome! Just like the pros!

36-37 is fine! Have a look here for what these guys got with an i7 920 quad and stock cooler:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=687&type=expert&pid=5

38 - 41 idle, 61 - 68 load.

My reference to 50C is at idle, you are safe to hit 70C or more under load. However, it shouldn't get that hot even with a stock cooler, unless it is overclocked.

Well I did it.

The CPU has been sitting at 36-37 C for the last 10 min.....

LOL. I know what you mean...

But actually, an open air setup like this provides NO passing airflow, and the system will actually run hotter than when in a case. Especially the NorthBridge. Many people rig a fan up, pointing to the NB area. Nothing to worry about unless you plan to run it like this for extended periods of time, or do a lot of overclocking with it like this.

Besides, it takes up a lot of deskspace and is impossible to move!

Absolutely, you have to be careful. The main reason it is done this way is to verify everything works before putting it in a case, or otherwise you are just pulling things out again. I must mention, that personally when I finally do assemble in a case, I invariably pull it at least once. The first try is just a dry fit to discover issues and problems as well as plan cable routing. Once I have a list of stuff to do, I pull the system, make the changes in the case, pre-route any cables that may go underneath the mobo (not reccomended), and then put it all back together.

Grounding is fine, as it gets a ground from the PSU. A more dangerous issue is a short when in the case, like a mobo standoff that is in a spot where it shouldn't be, and shorts out on the bottom of the mobo.

37C is perfect... I think...

But, what worries me, is your setup-without-casing.

I've done that before, and everytime I tried it, it nearly ended up in disaster... me being uncareful, moving some parts inadvertently... cats running about... :o

And, technically, are things earthed correctly this way?

Looks good though, job well done!

Generally, no.

Great comment on the antistat bags, never use them with components on top. Put components in them only when storing. I like to use the larger Asus mobo bags as dust covers, they seem non metalic, rubbery and flexible. They sometimes get knocked astray, and I can see this may be a not good thing!

My workbench is wood, and has a rubber yoga mat on it. I used to use a wrist strap, but not these days and just make sure I ground myself before touching RAM or a CPU (I have an old PSU on my bench, plugged into a soocket for the ground, but nothing connected to it, I have my wrist strap attached to that, but just touch it with a finger).

Most RAM these days have heatspeaders on them. Originally, it was to help dissapate heat on hot running fast DDR ram. These days, they put them on ram that will never get hot, no matter how fast they are run. Some ram still gets hot though. A better fuction for the heatspreaders IMHO is to protect the chips underneath, allowing safe and easy handling. Even so, I often handle ram by the edges of the PCB, so that I don't get fingerprints on the nice shiny heatspreaders.

My work area is in a basement, and have no static issues that one would get in some homes, like in the winter.

I have a bunch of rubber mats to place parts on, one is an old mousepad backing with the pad ripped off (solid rubber 1/4" thick), and a bunch of foam stuff I get by the package at a dollar store. Cardboard or wood will do fine in this respect too.

I handle things as little as possible, and never walk around wqith anything in my hands. If I need to move something closer to where I need it, I carry it on top of a rubber mat or cardboard.

I would like a rubber floormat, to soften the feet. :D

I've not yet ruined anything, knock on wood.

I think it is pretty safe to work and handle parts, as long as you do not have static in your home, and are careful to ground yourself, and handle everything by the edges. However, wearing a wrist strap is certainly safer, and they are cheap enough to buy. I do have two of them, I just don't use them at home much.

A question to all you guys who have built your own rigs:

Do you use ANY anti-static precautions??

would this work to extend my 8 pin EPS cable from the PSU?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21040&vpn=8ATX12VP4&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc%2E

The cable from my PSU is actually 2 x 4pin connectors that are bundled together, but the end where the connector is is actually 2 pieces which snap together to make the 8pin connection.

If this works I'm assuming I'd have to order 2 of them.

[edit]

or, just found this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41168F

this may help to keep me from routing the cable the way I have.