Putting all the Parts together

Tonar

• 1. DDz Quorum

The latter of the two links is what you need ;) (and retrofit it after you get system upa nd running so no 3-5 day wait).

Re: PWR fan connection, this is used by some PSUs that have a two core cable for fan speed control, I would not use this to power a fan personally, if your PSU does not have a blue and black lead terminating in a 3 pin plug then ignore it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats quite a mod from the last pics you posted.....LOL

11) Get the SATA DVD out, place it beside the mobo box and system, and plug in the sata power to it. Open one sata data cable and plug it into the dvd, and the other end into the white or orange sata connection of the mobo (check the manual for what these are for, one of them should be for single drives or opticals, the other may be for an external sata connection which you do not want to use).

I have 6 red SATA connectors, one orange and one white.

The 6 red are:

ICH10R Sata connectors (7pin SATA1-6 red)

The other 2 are:

Silicon Image Sata RAID connectors (7pin SATA_E1[Port0,orange], SATA1_E2[Port1, white]

you indicated orange for the HDD, but I will not be using a raid.

I was gonna just use the red ports (#1 for the hdd and #2 for the dvd and #3 for an eSATA connection coming from the front of the case)

I got the impression that those other 2 were for raid setups and also used by the drive Xpert utility for backups and such, and all data on the drives could be erased if I used either the "EZ backup" utility or the "super speed" setup while connected to those ports.

Ok, here is a pic so far..........

As you can see I've used a zip tie to pull the EPS cable away from the heat sink (however, it still rides up and over the black casing and circuit backing of the vid card.) as it makes its way to the top of the board

You can also see that I've plugged all 3 of my SATA devices into the red sockets not the orange and the whites?:huh: (which are hidden from view from the cables that I havent tied back yet)

I dont understand what the exact use of those two yet.

90_a8178716a5525862919ef88113dddae5

think I found an answer to my question about the orange and white sata connector on some forum:

..........don't put the boot HDD or Optical drive on the funny coloured SATA ports. ASUS have rather wonderfully taken the shiny new ICH10R controller which is SATA only and added a pair of PATA channels with an add-on controller from Promise Corp. If you have anything plugged in to the PATA port, nothing will occur on the orange or white SATA connectors.

This is also something of a pet hate of mine - the use of the term IDE to describe PATA drives. Both SATA and PATA are IDE disks, it's just the interface on the back that makes them different. I think if people understood that, they might be more awake to realising that plugging something into a PATA port may well knock out a SATA drive and vice versa. Part one of the rant over.

And then, just make everything even more unclear, ASUS have added a further BIOS level function to the orange and white SATA ports. If you have nothing attached to the PATA connector and two drives attached to the orange and white SATA connectors, Drive XPert will attempt to back up the Orange SATA drive to the white SATA drive all by itself. This is sort of explained on page 3-40 of the manual, but I would have thought that it's only common sense to think 'Why am I using the only two oddly coloured SATA connectors, why don't I try the ones that are all the same colour, and three times as many of them?"

Anyhoo - plug all your SATA drives into RED ports and I think things will work much better for you. And all ranted out now, thank you!

My manual is pretty vague about these ports (vague, as far as a newb is concerned anyway)

CPU fan (4pin): this is a PWM controlled fan, better for moderating fan speed.

Cha-Fan1 (3pin): Usually intake. This will report fan speed, should control speed as well but not always.

Cha-Fan2 (3pin): Usually exhaust. This will report fan speed, should control speed as well but not always.

Pwr-Fan

I like this one better, much better:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=31649&vpn=CB%2D8M%2D8F&manufacture=Works

Pricematched to $6.75:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=25830EL6848&vpn=CB-8M-8F&manufacture=Works

would this work to extend my 8 pin EPS cable from the PSU?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21040&vpn=8ATX12VP4&manufacture=nGear%20Technologies%20Inc%2E

The cable from my PSU is actually 2 x 4pin connectors that are bundled together, but the end where the connector is is actually 2 pieces which snap together to make the 8pin connection.

If this works I'm assuming I'd have to order 2 of them.

[edit]

or, just found this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41168F

this may help to keep me from routing the cable the way I have.

Yeah, I love the copper conduit! LOL.

OK, so the orange and white are for external sata. Use one of these for that long red sata line coming from the front of the case. Lets you plug an external HD with eSATA to it and get speeds like it was in the system. These ports won't raid unless you set them to in the BIOS, otherwise they should be fine as single drives. Same for the red ports for that matter.

The HD and optical can go in the red ones.

Thats quite a mod from the last pics you posted.....LOL

11) Get the SATA DVD out, place it beside the mobo box and system, and plug in the sata power to it. Open one sata data cable and plug it into the dvd, and the other end into the white or orange sata connection of the mobo (check the manual for what these are for, one of them should be for single drives or opticals, the other may be for an external sata connection which you do not want to use).

I have 6 red SATA connectors, one orange and one white.

The 6 red are:

ICH10R Sata connectors (7pin SATA1-6 red)

The other 2 are:

Silicon Image Sata RAID connectors (7pin SATA_E1[Port0,orange], SATA1_E2[Port1, white]

you indicated orange for the HDD, but I will not be using a raid.

I was gonna just use the red ports (#1 for the hdd and #2 for the dvd and #3 for an eSATA connection coming from the front of the case)

I got the impression that those other 2 were for raid setups and also used by the drive Xpert utility for backups and such, and all data on the drives could be erased if I used either the "EZ backup" utility or the "super speed" setup while connected to those ports.

Your mobo doesn't match the manual I downloaded for a P5E, what is the exact model number?

That EPS line is always a stretch with a bottom mounted PSU. It should run under the vid card, not on top -- there is a knotch under the card in the back near the I/O slot, the cable can run inder there, then up along to the connection. Pull the vid card first, lay the line down and plop the vid card back in, making sure the cable runs through the knotch. You will gain a bit of length this way, but it is still tight. Make sure that where the line comes out of the PSU, it isn't tangled or twisted into any other lines, and bend it sharply backwards to gain as much length as you can.

My rant on this: There are extensions available, which would let you run the line out the back of the case, behind the mobo tray, and back into the connection from that hole (in the case) above the mobo. However, I don't like adding connections to a line like that, increases resistance. Yet a lot of people do this, and some pricier PSUs have a little longer line. This is an ongoing issue, and I think the PSU makers need to make this line longer because of the popularity of lower mounted PSU cases.

I won't worry too much about the rest of the wires right now, but they can clean up real easy. I mentioned about a dry fitting in another thread here, where I typically install the mobo at least twice, even though I pre-setup the system open air. The first fitting just identifies problems, tight points, cable issues, etc. I pull the system, even gut the case, make the changes, pre-route wires, and put the system back together with near-finished cable management. If I do any cutting, I will definately gut the case, and this may mean one more fitting. With the first fitting, I don't worry about wire mess at all.

To reiterate, only use one of the white orange ports, for the front panel eSATA cable. Use the regular red sata ports for the HD and optical. None of the raid features will be active unless you turn it on in the BIOS.

Ok, here is a pic so far..........

As you can see I've used a zip tie to pull the EPS cable away from the heat sink (however, it still rides up and over the black casing and circuit backing of the vid card.) as it makes its way to the top of the board

You can also see that I've plugged all 3 of my SATA devices into the red sockets not the orange and the whites?:huh: (which are hidden from view from the cables that I havent tied back yet)

I dont understand what the exact use of those two yet.

almost finished....just connecting the front panel connector and led lights to the mobo....I cant seem to find a speaker wire for the case speaker though.....I guess it doenst have one.

The mobo may have a button speaker on it already, or you can get one that plugs into the FP header. It's just a beep at boot, nothing you really need unless it won't boot and you want to hear the beep codes.

system up and running.....

CPU temp holding at 24 degrees

MB temp at 30 degrees.

All fan spinning and being monitored.

With regards to SATA drives:

In the bios, do I want to set the SATA Configuration to:

IDE- if to be used as a PATA storage device

AHCI -not sure what this is...the manual says its allows the onboard storage driver to enable advanced SATA features, increasing storage performance by allowing the drive to internally optimize the order of commands

Raid -NO

I'm guessing the AHCI option...although the default is IDE.

(I would have left this as is, but I was snooping while watching the temps and saw this and wondered what it was and what do do with it)

Sorry, lol, mixed up system with Blairs!

No issues with running under the vid card, just watch out for pinching a wire. It's the only way to run the line up there without an extension. Being on top of the heatsinks will inhibit airflow a very little bit, but that freezer blasts air downward through them and the only loss will be on top of them, very minor blockage. Much perfered to squeezing it beside the heatsink, blocking much more airflow that is going through the fins rather than on top.

Nice mobo! What CPU and Ram? Vid and PSU?

I think the board has a little beeper button...cant see it, but it has a marking on the mobo.

As far as the eps line.

Great temps!

Good question! Keep it set as IDE.

Don't use the AHCI feature, it's not needed for regular use. If you were to try the setting, chances are good that windows won't load if it was installed with the feature off.

The only time I have used ot is when testing Apple OSX Intel version on a regular PC. Apple uses this feature.

"allowing the drive to internally optimize the order of commands" is an NCQ function I believe. It queues files up in order to optimize multiple different calls usually from systems on the network -- it actually slows the drive down in home use and is really made for servers. NCQ can be activated without AHCI being on, so I am not too sure about this other than you don't need it.

RAID = no. RAID is for multiple drives working together as a single volume, increases speed or built-in reliability with redundant backup.

system up and running.....

CPU temp holding at 24 degrees

MB temp at 30 degrees.

All fan spinning and being monitored.

With regards to SATA drives:

In the bios, do I want to set the SATA Configuration to:

IDE- if to be used as a PATA storage device

AHCI -not sure what this is...the manual says its allows the onboard storage driver to enable advanced SATA features, increasing storage performance by allowing the drive to internally optimize the order of commands

Raid -NO

I'm guessing the AHCI option...although the default is IDE.

(I would have left this as is, but I was snooping while watching the temps and saw this and wondered what it was and what do do with it)

Probably, it should auto to 800MHz.

If there is no option for 1066MHz ram as a divider, we'll have to get there via the FSB.

You will notice an option for FSB Strap to North Bridge in the AI Tweaker section of the BIOS. This basically sets the strap for the stock FSB of the CPU. There is a note in the manual that "The DRAM Frequency configuration options vary with the FSB Frequency item settings." In other words, depending on what strap you have this setting to, different various options for memory speed will become available. Most often, 1066MHz ram is not available in the 200MHz strap option, only 800MHz -- but check!

What I had to do with my DFI P35 on post #47 here...:

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,7236.45.html

... is increase the FSB to 266 while staying on the 200MHz strap with 800MHz ram. That will get you 1066MHz ram: 266 x 800 / 200 = 1064MHz!

You reduce the CPU multiplier to 9.5 to keep your CPU at stock speed: 266 x 9.5 = 2527MHz (or 2.5GHz).

As usual, test for stability before entering the OS, and again with Orthos or P95 while in the OS.

P5Q Pro mobo

Intel E5200

4 gigs DDR2 Corsair dual channel pc8500 1066mhz RAM