I think this qualifies as hardware hell

B16Enk

• 1. DDz Quorum

It's the same board, I had a disk fail in December but that could have been caused by teh board, it could have pooched the board or is just co-incidence..

All disk errors..

[attachment=1]

Disk controller on Motherboard finally gave up, still under warranty and now using a crappy single core 3700+ for a while..

Was a nice waste of most of my day..

after looking at all this numbers and errors i have finally come to a conclusion. There must be something WRONG with your computer.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yeah, I'm in dialogue with DFI now trying to get to the bottom of this.

It first occurred on 06/12 and a Seagate drive fitness test determined I had a faulty Barracuda 320Gb.

Seagate swapped it out, but....

The replacement drive appears to be the one doing it again, yet drive fitness reports no fault so I am really scratching my head now.

Looks like I may have to swap Mobo out again, put the DFI 790FX back in and connect the drives on different ports to see if the issue changes ports.

Doesn't help that XP doesn't give much of a clue as to the port mappings, with IDE ports it is a snap.

Real arse is it causes data corruption, it reset Firefox for me and my editor program all lost their settings - the former down to a corrupt file and the latter due to corrupt registry :(

• 1. DDz Quorum

I have DFI Tech support responding slowly, I think they ration it to one reply a day, but they are not being particularly helpful yet..

So far I swapped out my 790FX board for an old DFI nForce 4 board, and hammered the disks for a few hours yesterday without so much as a bleat from them.

So bit the bullet and swapped boards again, and have the 790FX back in and went for a format and clean install of XP.

I have to question the quality of the AMD/ATI drivers, once you find them which in itself is a major feat now.

I had to use google to get some idea as to what the driver file would be from ATI for the Sounthbridge and SMBus, before I could then start a search of the ATI site to find the download....since AMD took over ATI has gone to pot.

Anyways, I will now soak test again and see what occurs..

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ha!

Looks like my flying days are now in an enforced hiatus.

Got to the point where I thought I'd install the Audigy drivers (they released a new set on March 23 BTW) and during the install got a BSOD.

Now the system will not boot beyond the OS selection screen, recovery console freezes as does attempting a recovery/repair off the CD - freezes at 'Setup is starting Windows'.

Got a very helpful reply to my last email to DFI:

(read from bottom if you want to see the history)

Hi again Wendell.

No RAID, using SATA as IDE devices.

With regard to issues arising, it can run for days without fault, but it can also fault several times a day and several days in a row (you saw the frequency in my last missive to you).

I have since re-installed the board, formatted one of the 320Gb disks on SATA port 1 (the original c: and d: partitions) and the DVD drive on SATA port 4 and re-installed XP64.

The installation of XP64 itself was a major trial, after loading initial drivers the setup hangs for a significant period (at least 30 minutes) whilst displaying 'Setup is starting Windows' which is unusual.

I got the system to the point where I had re-attached the 500Gb drive to SATA port 3, installed the 9.3 Catalyst GPU drivers and the 9.3 SB and SMBus drivers.

Whilst installing the March 2009 Creative Audigy drivers the system blue screened, and has since failed to boot, it shows the OS selection screen (I have recovery console installed) but after that I get only a blank screen and no disk activity.

Recovery console also freezes, as does the setup from CD I am currently attempting so I can try a repair.

To re-iterate all components, save for the CPU RAM and board, all ran without hitch on a DFI Lanparty Expert board with nForce 4 chipset..

Rog

2009/4/3 DFI Support

- Hide quoted text -

• 1. DDz Quorum

or install 32 bit OS as man suggested. ;)

And ignore the fact that it is a 64bit system and as such should run a 64bit OS, no where in the sales or tech blurb does it say 'not compatible with XP64'.

You get my drift, a blase comment like that from DFI does not engender good customer relations, and one that is clearly wrong and ignores the heritage of XP64 I found to be insulting.

But then I am pissed off that this has taken DFI 8 days to come to this poxy 'nothing to do with us so tough shit' response.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Aye happen that may be so, but the only drivers I'm using are ATI.. err.. OK enough said!

Well I'll see how Vista copes, can't believe I am having to resort to running Vista :(

• 1. DDz Quorum

:) I haven't re-installed my 7 beta yet, don't know when that expires (I have the TechNet edition) but what I did see of it it was nice.

This Vista seems to be running well so far...

I always used to find that blase attitude at DFI Street too, so maybe it's rubbed off on the company. The main problem seemed to relate to over-clocking, as in if you weren't over-clocking the bejasus out of your DFI mobo then you weren't worth a response. I found it very strange. Although I really enjoyed my Lan Party NF4 Ultra!SLI - the BS that went with it was all a bit harder to take.

B :dog: