PassMark Performance Test Results

Jabo

Jabo: Here's the info about useable RAM and the effect of hardware devices with RAM on the useable RAM in Windows XP Home Edition. It was written a while back, so the comment about "Video cards nowadays commonly have one or two hundred MB of RAM on them" is incorrect. Nowadays the video cards we use in gaming can have anywhere from 125Meg to 1 GIG of RAM on them. So things have gotten worse instead of better.

4 GB RAM in 32-bit Windows XP and Vista

As more and more of us load up our systems with lots and lots of RAM, this question surfaces more and more. You put 4GB in your computer. The motherboard supports 4GB, Windows XP and Vista support 4GB, so everything is fine.

But when you open the System applet in Control Panel, the system tells you that there is 3.5GB, or maybe 3 GB even. Where did the rest go?

It turns out that these systems have a 4GB address space, which must be used to address physical RAM, as well as other things. This is addressed in the Microsoft document Memory Management: What Every Driver Writer Needs To Know. In particular, the fourth full paragraph on page 10 says:

The physical address space is used to address more than just RAM. It is also used to address all of the memory and some of the registers presented by devices. Consequently, if a machine is configured with the maximum amount of physical memory, some of that memory will be unusable because some of the physical address space is mapped for other uses.

So the machine must use that 4GB address space for other things besides your RAM. But what other things?

I recently had a new Dell Optiplex computer put on my desk at work. Being curious, I went to the Dell web site and found the manual for this computer. In that document, it says this:

This computer supports a maximum of 4 GB of memory when you use four 1-GB DIMMs or two 2-GB DIMMs. Current operating systems, such as Microsoft® Windows® XP, can only use a maximum of 4 GB of address space; however, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 4 GB. Certain components within the computer require address space in the 4-GB range. Any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory.

The following components require memory address space:

System ROM

APIC(s)

Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers

PCI cards

Graphics card

PCI Express cards (if applicable)

At start-up, the BIOS identifies the components that require address space. The BIOS dynamically calculates the amount of reserved address space required. The BIOS then subtracts the reserved address space from 4 GB to determine the amount of usable space.

If the total installed computer memory is less than the usable space, all installed computer memory is available for use only by the operating system.

If the total installed computer memory is equal to or greater than the usable address space, a small portion of installed memory is unavailable for use by the operating system.

The first thing that I see on this list is “Graphics cardâ€

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2. Administrators

OK, I think I understand that. I think I need to find a copy of XP 64bit if I want to push the envelope as far as memory is concerned. Thanks for the clarification m8, much appreciated.

~S~ Jabo

Jabo: Do you have/use Bittorrent or a similar program? I can supply you with the link for the 64-bit download. It's what I'm using on both comps. IL-2 works great on it. Only thing I found that doesn't work is Flash Player. But the next version will work on it. Only driver problem I had was with my wireless Linksys modem. I went on their forum and a guy there had posted links to downloads of 64 bit modem drivers. So I got the modem driver and saved it on a CDROM. If you use a wireless modem you may want to check to see if there are 64 bit drivers for it or if someone has posted them online. As far as video card drivers and all the rest, there are plenty of 64 bit drivers for nVidia cards. Not sure about ATI but I assume they have them too.

Dep

Edited by gec
missing post

I am too embarrassed to post mine :(

Aww c'mon Crash. Nobody's gonna poke fun at you. Not everyone can afford a high end comp. Heck' date=' I'm using old workstations from 2004 that I'm upgrading. I sure can't afford one of those new whizbang comps. Plus don't forget that what is blazingly fast today will be putting along in a couple of years. I remember when I bought my Pentium 100 mhz comp. That was back when Windows newest release was Windows for Workgroups 3.1.1

I had the hottest thing going for about 3 months. :)

[/quote']

I got 350 and then I tried it after running EndItAll and that gave over 400. The comp runs OK on offline stuff but SEOW was giving 15-20 FPS according to Fraps. However I have a cunning plan ;) There is a cheap 775 motherboard with a recommendation from Custom PC mag (£50) I plan to buy this next week. After it arrives I will discover that my 939 chip wont fit :o then I will HAVE to buy a 3ghz CPU to fit in it. (I will keep my 7950GT card for now) :)

Edited by gec
missing post

• 1. DDz Quorum
As far as video card drivers and all the rest, there are plenty of 64 bit drivers for nVidia cards. Not sure about ATI but I assume they have them too.

Dep

I'm running 64Bit XP too, ATI drivers are fine unless you want the 8.12s which are buggy and will not install properly under XP64.

All other drivers were fine, Creative for the sound card, Chip Set (AMD/ATI so a little odd to find and install) CH controllers etc.

Lost the ability to program my MSFFB2 stick, but hey ho at least I have all my RAM :) .

B16Enk: I'm reall happy with the changeover to 64 bit XP. I really think 64 bit is the wave of the future. Like Windows 95, 98, and XP, it just takes a while for it to become popular. When people realize the benefits for future upgradeability, they will come over. Unfortunately, VISTA 64 bit is kinda screwed up becasue it sucks down a large amount of RAM. But that system is an interim solution and the next Windows is already being worked on. I think VISTA is gonna end up like Windows Millenium.

Crash: I am gonna test my other workstation that I am on right now. I bet I beat everyone at low scoring. It has a TERRIBLE video card. I'll post the score when I[m done.

Dep

BG,

Unfortunately, I've caught the... "Newer and more interesting game" syndrome.

When my sister finally gets around to posting my rudder pedals, which I asked for my birthday in OCTOBER!!! Then I'll probably join in again.

GK

Edited by gec
missing post

@ Pooka & BG - Cheers guys! I'll try and get back sooner, so start practising flying straight and level for my return. ;)

@ Badaim - Ohhhhhhhhhh, close, but no cigar! Try re-running the test and... wiggling your power cable during the test? Try and squeeze out that extra 2.2 points you need to beat my score. ;)

GK, LOL My first test was 1150 even, then switched my GF card over to the testing profile, killed all of the xp eyecandy, double checked that every program was off.......and all I got for my trouble was a lousy 16.6 points. tongue.gif Ooooh, maybe if I run FS autostart......

Snacks, That's a free trial I got with my ATI driver. I saved it because I figured it was worth a try....hell, several million people play it, how bad can it suck..... BTW, your right on with the Elf thing mate, but not like one of those little gay santa type elfs, no I'd be like a highland Elf with a 7' long Bow that no mere mortal could bend and an ancient Elven sword made of mithriel .......yeah, that's it.

Edited by gec
missing post

Merdog: It means we need to do some upgrading ;D I got a 637.7 on my dual Xenon comp. I also found out that Hyperthreading was disabled on my motherboard. So I went in and enabled it. I'm not really upset with my results. My hard drive is an old IDE' date=' the video card is an nVidia that was made for workstations and not speed (Quadro 290 NVS), and I am only using 4 Gig of RAM. I can up the RAM tremendously (16 GB) and buy a hot gaming video card and either hi-speed SATA or SCSI hard drive. I haven't even started upgrading this comp and it got decent results. :)

[/quote']

Just installed a new nVidia 9800 GT video card on my dual Xeon comp. Latest test shows a 725.3

Actually, this video card was supposed to go in my other workstation comp, but I ran into a problem installing the new X3 power supply. Dang screws didn't match up with what was on the HP case. So I installed the card in the Xeon comp. The power supply goes back to Tigerdirect tomorrow. Anyway, the test that really killed my score was the dang CD. It's an old geezer and I think it's only a 4X read and write. And I think I may still end up going to 16 GIG of RAM.

I tried out IL-2 tonight and with the new video card it really looks fantastic. Clouds look great and don't affect frame rates like before.

Edited by gec
missing post

I scored a 1182.6 sometime yesterday hanging out with BG. I wonder how much a quad core gpu and a newer graphics card would affect that score. Since then I have not been able to duplicate that score. The best I have done since then in 1168.7

Seems as though the guys that are overclocking are getting some higher numbers. I tried some mild overclocking yesterday with near disastrous results. The Asus utility I used was corrupted and now I can't get the dam thing unistalled even in safe mode. I am about to clear CMOS so if I don't show up to host coops today, that is why.

:bg:

And this is why I don't do overclocking...If the uber-cautious BG can have problems' date=' I shudder to think of the hash I could make of it....

~S~ Jabo

[/quote']

X2. Scares the crap out of me. I may buy/use an overclocked video card, but I'm not even sure about that. :o

Edited by gec
missing post