New PC for Jabo?

Jabo

Do you have a bootable Linux DVD/CD? this will prove the hardware is working.

that is actually a very good idea Chash.

on internet u can find slax or any other cd version of Linux or even better there is a dvd to dl called Ultimate boot disk. it is also a bootable cd with winxp running from it and with alot of tools for checking hardware and repairing the comp

• 2. Administrators

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've found the problem - XP pre SP1 doesn't understand PCI-E! I slipstreamed my copy with SP2 and oh yes, by the way, IT'S WORKING!!!!!

By thunder this is quick compared to the old machine. 20 seconds from power on to Windows!

Will have the game loaded shortly followed by Fraps and I'll do a frame count on Black Death...

Thanks to everyone who's offered suggestions, I was really hitting a bad patch there for a while.

Outstanding Jabo!!!! BTW...time to update your Windows XP CD to something newer. If you know about Bitorrent (hint-hint, nudge-nudge, know what I mean?), there are versions available with SP2 already installed. It would be worth it to download one and have it in case you need it.

Well I am having bigger problems than Jabo with my rebuild. My Xeon workstation refuses to load Win XP. It comes up with an error message about cables being unplugged. Either the hard drive or the CDROM. Guess I will have to tear into the guts today.

Got my problem solved....but here's a weird one. Seems that some HP workstations won't recognize CD+R or -R versions of Windows XP. The 64 bit CD that installed perfectly on my xw4200 workstation wouldn't recognize on the xw8200. I had to install XP Pro 32 bit to get it running. Very weird. Oh well...XP Pro 32 bit recognizes multiple processors, but is limited in RAM recognition like XP Home. But it does run all 32 bit programs. I'll see how it works and if it runs good, I'll keep it. Otherwise I may be forced to buy a REAL version of XP Pro 64 bit.

Falcon: Thanks for that points program. I'm gonna test out and post my specs. Hey!!! We need a thread to compare our comp's specs!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

OK, just run the Black Death track on the PC to get a frame check - Low 29, Avg 52, Max 64. Don't know how that compares, but I'm pretty happy with that.

~S~ Jabo

Here's a turn-up for the books...On Vista HP (32 bit) I get better framerates - Low 43, Avg 55, Max 67. Not huge gains I appreciate, but I guess because the numbers are closer together I'll be getting smoother gameplay? Of course it won't make a difference to the fact that I can't shoot worth a damn.