New PC for Jabo?

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Hi guys

I've recently come into a small amount of cash, and I'm considering using it to upgrade my rig. Here's what I've come up with.

XFX AM2+ nForce 750A/GeForce 8200 DDR2 ATX SLI mainboard

AMD PhenomX4 9650 Quad Core AM2+ 4MB 2.3GHz processor

XFX GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB DDR3 CC 765MHz PCIE 2xDVI gfx card

OCZ Technology 2X1GBKIT 240PIN PC2-8500 DDR2 1066MHZ SLI READY memory

Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System

OK, here's the questions 1) will this little lot work together? 2) is it worth £500?

Any assistance gratefully received ASAP as I can have this by Christmas if I hurry.

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

~S~ Merdog - got a whacking great Zalman processor fan/heatsink combo at present which is compatible (I think) and I'm already running 2x 120mm case fans. Got a 500W PSU - will this do the trick?

~S~ Jabo

Just done a quick check with the supplier - I could have this tomorrow!

Salute Jabo !

If you really need good advice, ask Falconise or Quazi but i think you can do better for 500 pounds. I wouldn't go for AMD, i've read review that performance of best phenom is similar to worse intel quad core, and i dont think you need to spend money on SLI but as I said ... ask experts - Falconise looks to know a lot about hardware ... pm him you can save a lot of money and problems by doing that. However if this is what you want and you can't wait any longer, I'm sure it will work for you and you'll be happy.

Merry Christmas Jabo, enjoy your new baby :)

• 2. Administrators

Thanks guys - not proposing SLI yet, just running the one card for the time being...

Always used AMD thus far with superb reliability and good performance too - dammit Jabo embrace the change!

~S~ Jabo

Done a little more digging in the meantime, and it appears that AMD fixed the TLB problem with caused issues with the early Phenom processors back in May/June and the current B3 variant is fine. Apparently the AMD chips don't overclock easily (unlike Intel's Quad Cores) but given that I'd rather get a faster component than overclock a slower one, that's fine by me.

There is nothing wrong with AMD Jabo.

I'm using AMD since my first 386 based computer. it was always great and better then Intel.

There is another thing. IL does not support multi core processors. So basically, what is important is one core speed. maybe would be better to take 2x3.0 (x2 6000+) or something like that.

video card is good but old and expensive. i would recommend ATI Radeon HD4850 512 MB, or ATI Radeon HD4870 512 MB. both r cheaper and better if u ask me.

just my 2 cc

• 2. Administrators

but I wanna play with quad-core processors - sniff.

I know IL2 won't use QC technology Gec, but I've got half an eye on the future (and I don't play IL2 exclusively - please don't tell Jim)

• 2. Administrators

Have the option to go either way with that board Jim, it has 8ch sound on-board, and I also have a creative 6ch PCI card. Probably go with the on-board sound in this case so there's less gubbins inside.

~S~ Jabo

Not sure about the PSU, I've got an Antec 550W lump which has been fantastic, and I'm kinda loath to sling it out.

I'm sticking with the 9800GTX though, OCC say it's the best thing since sliced bread, and I've yet to find a negative review.

OK, bitten the bullet - and opted for a Thermaltake Toughpower 750W - I've already got a Thermaltake case, so I like the symmetry

• 2. Administrators

OK, I've just pushed the order button. Here's the poop;

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 P45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz Socket 775 (1066FSB) 3MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

BFG 9800GTX+ OC Edition 512MB Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU - ATX 12V V2.01 120mm Fan 20+4pin

Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Hyperx Memory

not bad for £415 including delivery! Oh and it'll be here Tuesday - and I've got a day off on Wednesday - guess what I'll be doing!

~S~ Jabo

Hmmmmm....I see no info about the hard drive. All those fancy video cards and processors won't do squat if you have a slow-spinning hard drive. What hard drive are you getting and what speed does it spin at? Absolute minimum is 7500RPM. And to get the full benefit of all that other hardware, a 10,000 RPM hard drive would be ideal.

OK, I've just pushed the order button. Here's the poop;

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 P45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz Socket 775 (1066FSB) 3MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

BFG 9800GTX+ OC Edition 512MB Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU - ATX 12V V2.01 120mm Fan 20+4pin

Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Hyperx Memory

not bad for £415 including delivery! Oh and it'll be here Tuesday - and I've got a day off on Wednesday - guess what I'll be doing!

~S~ Jabo

I think it is excellent purchase for great price ... merry christmas and happy new year Jabo :)

P.S. Did you check if your processor is boxed with fan ? I think Retail comes with fan but it's worth to check that.

• 2. Administrators

Hmmmmm....I see no info about the hard drive. All those fancy video cards and processors won't do squat if you have a slow-spinning hard drive. What hard drive are you getting and what speed does it spin at? Absolute minimum is 7500RPM. And to get the full benefit of all that other hardware, a 10,000 RPM hard drive would be ideal.

Already have a nice SATA HDD Dep, so I'm cool for that.

I think it is excellent purchase for great price ... merry christmas and happy new year Jabo :)

P.S. Did you check if your processor is boxed with fan ? I think Retail comes with fan but it's worth to check that.

The processor is complete with stock HS&F, which will be consigned directly to the junk heap as I have a rather nifty Zalman cooler to bolt on top of the CPU.

Just a few hours to go!

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Landed at our local ParcelForce depot at 2.57 this morning and is booked out for delivery!

Pace...Pace...Pace...Pace

...Pace...Pa - hang on, is that the front door bell?

IT IS!!! And the bits are here - WOOHOO!!! To hell with work, I'm calling in sick...

• 2. Administrators

How does 'the whole thing's fubar' sound? Grrr.

Getting a blue screen of death while installing windows XP - reporting a fault with 'pci.sys' - gfx card? I dunno. Lost and not happy. Any help gratefully received.

~S~ Jabo

How does 'the whole thing's fubar' sound? Grrr.

Getting a blue screen of death while installing windows XP - reporting a fault with 'pci.sys' - gfx card? I dunno. Lost and not happy. Any help gratefully received.

~S~ Jabo

Get laptop or other pc , get usb floppy disk, download latest bios from manufacturer site, make bootable floppy disk with bios files on it and flash bios to newest versions. After that ewverything should be ok ...

It is very common issue when you cannot put operating system on, it is very likely you need to upgrade BIOS ....

Any problems you can reach me on my msn kdykiel@yahoo.com.

I hope i helped mate.

• 2. Administrators

I'm wondering if it's due to my XP cd (legit) being pre-SP1. I'm in the process of building a slipstreamed XP installation disk with SP2 which might be worth a try. I will also get the latest BIOS files. Thanks Falcon

On a positive note, before it crashes, it's bloody quick

If you're getting a blue screen while installing XP, then you might have a bad CD. ALL of my bios were/are out of date when I did my install and it still worked fine. If you are using a machine that already had XP installed previously, I doubt it's a bios issue.