Issues With The DCS Server

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

@FoolTrottel  @B16Enk

Since the last patch we seem to be having some issues with the performance of the DCS server. We are seeing a noticeable drop in frames @fruitbat always has his frame counter on and has noticed the difference as well as other reporting issues.

I have run a repair on the server which does not seem to have made any differences.

I have removed all mods and scaled back some of my DML modules, problem still seems to be there.

I sent @wingflyr the current Persian Gulf map mission we most often use on the server and he hosted it on his box and we connected and  found no issues with the frames, thus ruling out the mission?

It has been suggested we perhaps do a clean install of DCS (especially as the versions of open beta and stable have now merged so only one is required?

@B16Enk  Have you completed the changes you talked about combining servers only recently, could this be a cause of the performance drop?

I was thinking of doing a version without the Phantom to see if that is the issue but the same mission with them in worked fine on @wingflyr server?

Friar.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Currently, while no clients are connected to our DCS, it is taking 12% CPU constantly. (Have tried the non multithreading executable, but it's same effect.)

These mods are currently active, did you enable them back in again?

aircraft: A-4E-C, BRONCO V1.08, Fi103, VNAO_T45

Services: DCS-SRS

Tech: MELBOURNE1980 

When I load the old  DD_All Planes Jet Practise A4 0700 - F15E mission, all appears fine, CPU back to 5 to 6% load for DCS. (Even GBS server uses more ... )

The only thing new to me is a process probably related to Rog's actions, it does not use any noticable CPU, only every now and then, it does use a lot of memory, but whether that is causing the problem? I do not think so, as sufficient RAM is still available... about half of it in use, half of it is available.

(So basically, I think the memory is half empty, you may think it is half full)

In the end, I could zap both versions of DCS off of the server, and reinstall it clean and smooth and nice and shift. Not too sure whether it would be of help here. First I need to know for sure you whether you did indeed disable all mods ... 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi @FoolTrottel Thanks for the update.

When I said I have disabled the mods I meant that I removed them from my mission so that they are not required.

That mission will not have the Phantom? or any of the DML scripts.

Could it be that combination, or the last patch doing something to the Persian Gulf Map or solar flares or BREXIT or....

Perhaps a full clean re-install (of DCS) is overdue? There is a patch due out tomorrow BTW.

Do we have the mods on the server then? Is there a benefit to that?

• 1. DDz Quorum

The mods we have on the server are for some of the aircraft me thinks - but I am not sure at all there, whether we could do without.

I will start the cleanup - uninstall and shift.

First saving all missions and settings to re-use later, possibly...

Then reinstall. Add Maps, and settings to run server and web interface. And missions.

Starting ... now... 

• Thanks 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

I think we could leave mods off the server? They get added to the mission files and users must have them installed anyway.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
4 minutes ago, Friar said:

I think we could leave mods off the server? They get added to the mission files and users must have them installed anyway.

Yeah, will try and do that. Or rather leave it. No, wait... 

• 1. DDz Quorum
Posted (edited)

Kinda had forgotten what time it takes to... install the thing from scratch.

So, I was able to start DCS Server, using our standard mission on the Causasus map. It ran.

And when finished, to discover... maps... install them. One by one. Oh dear.

DCS_updater.exe install SINAIMAP_terrain - done

Currently installing these in a batch file, one by one, one after the other, hoping no errors will occur... lol
DCS_updater.exe install PERSIANGULF_terrain 
DCS_UPDATER.EXE install MARIANAISLANDS_terrain
DCS_Updater.exe install THECHANNEL_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install NEVADA_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install SYRIA_terrain

DCS_updater.exe install NORMANDY_terrain

Tomorrow I will have a look at the result.

Edited by FoolTrottel
Added a line for Normanday

• 1. DDz Quorum

All done with reinstall, but it does not look like it made any difference, or not much... CPU load while running DDServerPersianGulf-1000hrs is still very high at 12 to 14%, even with no one connected.

Could be that it is caused by 'new stuff' running by Rog...  I cannot tell.

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, FoolTrottel said:

All done with reinstall, but it does not look like it made any difference, or not much... CPU load while running DDServerPersianGulf-1000hrs is still very high at 12 to 14%, even with no one connected.

Could be that it is caused by 'new stuff' running by Rog...  I cannot tell.

Thank you FT for all your hard work. I owe you a beer next time you're over here.

With regards performance for some of those flying the F-4 it should be noted that Heatblur pre-empted todays patch with a bunch of changelog notes specifically for the Phantom; it makes enlightening reading. Here's some snippets that could explain a few things, particularly those I have highlighted in bold:

Performance: Major improvements to Radar raycasting performance, especially on busy MP servers

Performance: Radar thread affinity changed - may increase performance where the main thread was saturated on busy servers or missions

Performance: Fixed Object Cache being over-saturated causing severe performance loss on busy missions with thousands of objects

Performance: NEW: Added special option to reduce radar performance impact - can improve CPU performance on lower end CPUs at the cost of some additional visual noise and clutter on the radar screen

Performance: Changed amounts of radar threads across different core setups

Performance: NEW: Added Lower Refresh HBUI special option. This option will reduce the UI refresh rate to 30 fps, matching the F-14 Jester UI. This will reduce CPU performance impact on CPU limited machines, especially in heavy missions

Performance: Fixed INS, ADI and other various system bugs with the “Reduced Tickrate” option enabled

Performance: Refactored some JESTER code paths that may have caused lowered performance when an enemy was nearby

Full list here:

https://store.heatblur.com/blogs/news/dcs-f-4e-post-release-update-changelog

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I echo what Fruitbat says, many thanks for your time FT.

Lets see what happens in the patch today. If it is still the same I think my plan would be.

1. Produce a version of the same map without the F4 just to see if it is that.

2. If no improvement I will produce a map with no DML in case one of the scripts has broken DCS with too many checks/cycles etc (although exactly the same mission was run by Wingflyr on his server with seemingly no issues.)

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

I am just updating my machine now. Once done I will tweak the mission to add the new 'chopper and put the mission up.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I am just trying to add the Normandy map in? so I can put the mission up to see if it is my persian gulf map?

I assume I start the game on the server and then add the map?

Just tried to run the game up (not ded server) on the server and the game crashed. 

Will try again.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I added the Normandy mission to the list but could not load it as I assume the map has not been added to the new install?

How do you add the map then? or do you not need to and something else is wrong?

Am TS now

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 minutes ago, Friar said:

ok thanks, so that is how you have to do it, with a specific command.

Indeed. Here's the list I used now:

DCS_updater.exe install SINAIMAP_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install MARIANAISLANDS_terrain
DCS_Updater.exe install THECHANNEL_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install PERSIANGULF_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install NEVADA_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install SYRIA_terrain
DCS_updater.exe install NORMANDY_terrain

Found this from 2021: "For future reference, here's a link to a table of like all DCS modules, with their names in it:  Modules!"

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 minutes ago, Friar said:

sorry FT just went to server and see the update is still running.

No worries. As long as you do not cancel it's not a problem, its more like watching paint dry...