Faith, Hope and Charity Released

I just finished watching what in my opinion is the best IL-2 film ever made. There wasn't one thing about it that I could find fault with. The story is engrossing. The film making is spectacular. The choice of time, color saturation, scene editing all are worthy of Oscars. (c.) The sound is the best I have ever heard. The special effects, well I just wish they were available in the game itself. This film should be shown in theaters.

Without giving anything away, let me say that several times there were tears in my eyes. This without a single live human on the screen. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping and praying for the pilots success and safety.

How can you not like a film that was made by the very best film makers in the community? Each put their individual stamp on their scenes and still the film was cohesive in it's entirety. A credit to their teamwork and devotion to this film.

The bar has been raised yet again in IL-2 film making. It will be difficult to rise above it. If this film does not make Film Of The Year I will be rather surprised.

If you have ANY reservations about downloading this film, get rid of them. You are doing yourself a disservice not to watch it. If you really cannot download it get the DVD. I guarantee it will be money well spent.

I will also send you the zipfile of the movie via YouSendIt.

• 1. DDz Quorum

First class, although I am bound to say the voice acting IMHO really let it down :(

Spot the reversed photo (hint: Steinway) and the record player playing backwards ;)

I feel bad offering that criticism, a great project, great music, great 'cinematography', great script...a moving film, but I do think the voice actors really do need to be re-done to make this what it should be.

• 1. DDz Quorum

i have just finished watching it. the story has been presented brilliantly and pulled me right in, as mobius says, it is a credit to the film makers that it generates such emotions.

I downloaded it, and started it on my monitor, not sure if I was willing to watch the whole thing (an hour plus long!).

However, the opening suggested to me that this was a serious effort so I put it up on my big screen with surround sound and WOW!

a fine film and fitting tribute. BTW A dogz had a very minor part in helping out.The story of malta has always interested me and I was able to help out birdbrain when he was making the maps and campaign that were used in the film. He requested info and I sent him a book I had.

The film has some license on the facts. There were more than the 3 biplanes available - around 6 were constructed from 15 in crates left by HMS glorious as a reserve when she served in the med. These formed the Hal Far wing. The other remaining planes were salvaged as parts and spares to keep these 4 in the air. The pilots were a group of volunteers from raf and fleet air arm , none were trained fighter pilots and Flt Lt Burgess was a personnel assistant to the Air Commander when he volunteered.

I usually dont have time to watch these things, but my job lets me do alot of misn bldg, so I took an hr to watch this. I am not easily impressed by such things, but this had me in the same mood as the movie Battle of Britain did. Very well done; I guess Michal Caine, Robert Shaw, and Christopher plummer weren't available for voice work, but it held my attention and had me yelling like I was online watching Rattler and Painless wade into the 352cd

a fine film and fitting tribute. BTW A dogz had a very minor part in helping out.The story of malta has always interested me and I was able to help out birdbrain when he was making the maps and campaign that were used in the film. He requested info and I sent him a book I had.

The film has some license on the facts. There were more than the 3 biplanes available - around 6 were constructed from 15 in crates left by HMS glorious as a reserve when she served in the med. These formed the Hal Far wing. The other remaining planes were salvaged as parts and spares to keep these 4 in the air. The pilots were a group of volunteers from raf and fleet air arm , none were trained fighter pilots and Flt Lt Burgess was a personnel assistant to the Air Commander when he volunteered.

Malta was scheduled for invasion and they had troops and planes ready in sicily , however a combination of factors prevented it from going ahead-

1) they lost a lot of their elite pratroopers in taking crete and a lot of ju52 s - they used ju52s to land paratroopers onto airfieds- often while fighting was going on, and they used instructors to fly these. these were hammered by aa on crete

incidentally one of the factors for luftwaffe racking up losses later in the war was lack of training as they were very short of instructors and so arrived at front line units very poorly prepared.

2) rommel was doing well in north africa so it was thought

1) they lost a lot of their elite pratroopers in taking crete and a lot of ju52 s - they used ju52s to land paratroopers onto airfieds- often while fighting was going on, and they used instructors to fly these. these were hammered by aa on crete

one of the top aces was a canadian buzz buerling

I'm just reading Liddel Hart's history of WW2. Spot on, Dave - the paratroopers were basically wiped out at Crete. Hitler pretty much refused to use them again.

As for "Screwball" Beurling, he was a great pilot, but an a$$ to fly with. A couple of his Sqn Comanders, JE Johnson and Hugh Godefroy dressed him down repeatedly for failure to be a team player.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hey Rog, did you noticed the missing 2 pilots from the credits.. and wouldn't you say the gladiator take off looks awfully familiar?

I did indeed Chris.

Pretty sure the in-pit may well be mine using TiR too.

Bastages, where's our credits? LOL.