What Would You Buy?

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

What laptop would you buy for your daughter going off to university?

Dell?

15" screen

will be doing lots of course work (going to be a primary school teacher so not too heavy on the graphics front), and watching the odd dvd

4-8gb of memory

500gb+ storage?

my issue is processor - i3? i4? i guesss quad core (would like to build in some future proofing)

I lay myself before the great and the good for advice

Salute

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

They say Lenovo also delivers good stuff... but that's what I've heard!

Processor: i5

8Gb internal memory.

About the HD storage: Make sure there's an SSD in there... 256 GB - not the traditional /HD.

(You may need 500Gb if you are doing lots of photo and/or video stuff, for normal work, 256 will do... me thinks)

Lenovo are great and cheap.

But Dell also has good stuff.

For college, I would go for software bundles (Office, etc.).

Dell unfortunately does NOT allow you to customize much.

If it were ME:

Windows 7

6GB-8GB RAM

500GB HD

Optical Drive (this is up to you)

Office Software Bundle

I would avoid touch screen (not needed).

15" screen minimum.

I'm guessing $500 US

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50-80/?sb=:000001C9:00013E1F:

Get something small and unobtrusive that can be taken into lectures for note taking - a net book or think pad with keyboard sort of thing with an 11" screen will be fine for course work and surfing and a lot easier to lug around too.  A built in camera for Skypeing would be good.

Watching DVD's?  If she's going for QTS there won't be much time for that!

I wouldn't worry about future-proofing too much either.  Just get the extended warranty and nut it in year three Col! :P   In her first job she'll have a school laptop foisted on her anyway.

Good career choice and my very best wishes.  I'm off to France on Monday!!!!!! :thumbsu:  

• 1. DDz Quorum

I went from a Dell to a Lenovo laptop for work, would not touch a Dell again given the choice.

The Lenovo Jabo linked looks like a steal at that price, although the 1Tb SSHD is a tad misleading (it is a hybrid - a true SSHD would cost as much as the laptop!).

I got the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, about $1400 with touch screen and 2560 x 1440 resolution (and very usable at that res too) and Dolby sound!