sad farewell

JensenPark

It is with sadness that I announce the passing of the great Doonesbury at age 17.

Part pig, part dog, part furniture warmer - Doones was a great friend for the past 15 1/2 years.

Babe magnet, dish cleaner, dinner leftover disposal unit, uber hair-shedder, biter of my kids feet...he was it all.

Went out like a pro though. Had him out on the lawn for a late night pee (for him, not me) and he chased a cat that was dumb enough to enter our yard. Unfortunately, Doones was never the brightest, and chased the cat off a 5 foot ledge. Nothing to worry about normally, but when you are 17 and have bad hip displacia, it is not the smart thing to do.

Target fixation I guess.

Anyways, poor Doones broke his hip. Sat with me for several hours while I waited for the wife to come home from work and watch the boys so I could take him to the all-night vet...not once whimpered or complained - which is remarkable considering his rear leg was just limp and completely separated from the hip.

A true Danger Dogz dog...

Picture067.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Sounds like he was a real trooper, and 17yrs was a good innings.

I lost a 13 yr old GSD last year to hip troubles aggravated by spinal arthritis, carrying her in to the vets was heartbreaking.

Sorry to hear this mate- I had a cocker spaniel for 12 years - one of the best friends I ever had- never got another dog as I dont think he could be replaced.

BTW my 2 lads both love Star Wars too and we have some great light sabre fights around the house.

Kelly, I have already sent you an email about this but I also wanted to express my sadness on the Danger Dogz Forums. Loosing a pet is one of life's great miseries. There is nothing anyone can say to make up for that absolute trust that a dog adds to your everyday life. I think it is even worse because of the guilt one feels after they are gone.

Doones had 17 good years which is a long time for any dog.

We are proud to honour him as a true Danger Dogz.

Really sorry to hear that Kelly.

Our family dog Mario (pictured my avatar) died a couple of months ago. Going to visit the folks for the first time since this weekend. 17 is remarkable- Mario was only 11, but he was still running after small animals up to the end!

All the best mate.

Sorry to hear that the family's buddy passed on to the great squirrel chase in the sky, Kelly.

I grew up with three pulis (Hungarian sheepdogs with the rasta-dread coat)... let's just say I got herded around a fair bit (I'm only half kidding) by them. My dad was actually hit a lot harder when they died than my sister or I, as they were really his dogs (he was definitely the "alpha male" of the household to them).

• 2 weeks later...