Will I Have To Reload Windows?

DD_Arthur

I've just ebayed myself an Intel i7 930 quad core and an Asus X58 motherboard.  The plan is to install it all into my case re-using hard-drive, power supply, memory, DVD drive, etc. 

Will I have to re-install Windows7 or will my HD be recognized by the new mother board and I'll just have to install new motherboard drivers?

You can uninstall all the old drivers before you remove the HD from the old mobo.

And it will work, but the odds are against you getting it done right and it working to its full potential.

Its best to back up everything, My Documents, profiles for controlers, Teamspeak etc. and reloading the drive with a fresh install. Once its all set up I do a Clone and burn it to disc, so I can reload it if need be in less than a 1/2 hour.

I personally buy a new drive for the new system and slave in the old drive, so I only have to move the files I want once. Then I format the old drive and set it up a slave drive, and copy the New sytem to it and make it dual boot and redirect MY Documents, My Games, etc to it's extra space So the next time I don't have to move anything that I can keep out of windows. Plus if my OS or if the new drive fails, I still have access to my machine.

After all these years I have several old drives I've put into external drive boxes and keep stuff backed up to them if its something I don't need all the time.

• 1. DDz Quorum

What Toad said...

+ Me thinks if the make and chipset of the new board is kinda like the old one, there's a chance it might work without re-installing, and you may/will have to re-activate windows ...

(You can always give it a try... the emphasis however lies on the backup. Or rather... two of 'm...)

Thanks guys.  I have an external one terabyte drive I've been using to back up pictures and some docs and I also have another five hundred gig internal drive I will fit to my current machine now and reformat it in preparation for the switch over.

FT, I'm moving from a Gigabyte P35 socket 775 board to an Asus  socket13-whatever-it-is to run this i7 so I presume chipset and drivers will be totally different.  Hooray! Just found out I can reuse my Arctic cooler Pro.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Here's an idea: Hook up your empty internal drive as the only disk on the new motherboard. Then install Windows 7 on it.

After completed, hook up the other, original drive, as drive D: or E:.

You can then either copy from the old disk to the new one whatever you need...

Or, leave the old one in, clean it up (removing windows folders and such) without deleting IL2 (maybe ROF will be needing a re-install? Dunno) and run stuff from that secondary drive...

I always move my 'My Documents' folder to my D: Drive and have a habit of keeping all of my personal files there.  Then I don't loose anything when I have to restore, reimage, or reinstall the C: drive.  Saved a lot of headaches over the years.

Just go to Properties of My Documents, click on the Location tab, and select Move.  Create a new folder called 'My Documents' on D: and move it.

• 2. Administrators

I've gone a step further and moved my entire users folder to a separate physical drive along with c:\programdata. This has the advantage that none of your user data is on the boot drive (in case of reinstallitis) and Windows (7) doesn't bat an eyelid - It's a little involved but to my mind, worth the extra effort - The methodology is documented here.

This means that my SSD RAID is now used only for Windows, various software packages and IL-2 (Maximum throughput of those two drives combined is 1.2GB/s (2x600MB/s)- I might have had a slightly geeky few months - sooner or later though something will go bang and I'll have ones and zeroes everywhere - :headbang: ) whereas all my data is safely squirrelled away locally and on two external backups.

Jabo

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Windows 7 will happily take on a new Mobo and CPU without a blink.

You will very likely have to re-activate though.

Done this at least 4 times now with the family PCs, granted all AMD but with slightly different Chipsets each time.

Windows 7 will happily take on a new Mobo and CPU without a blink.

You were quite right, Rog.  Swapped it all over this evening.  Had a back up of everything on standby but Win7 recognised everything with no problems and no need to re-register or anything.

It's a beast!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a beast!!!!

It is a beast and today I found out why.  i7 930 should run at 2.8ghz stock. Mines running at 3.6ghz!!!!  The board and cpu were sold separately on Ebay but from a single vendor. He'd O.C'd it but not changed anything when he put them on Ebay. 

Not sure if I should clock it down or leave it running as it is.  RoF at all settings maxed out, including supersampling, on the Channel map with a thirty plane dogfight in the qmb;

rof2013-08-1900-31-00-94.png

Core temps don't seem to exceed 60 degrees with all this going on so I'm inclined to leave it be and bring on BoS!!! :thumbsu: