2012 Is The Year I Go To Windows 7

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ok chaps,

Made the decision that now is the time to park XP, as much as I love it and move to Win 7 (I do have 4gb of ram sitting in my machine after all).

My specs are as follows;

Intel® Core™2 Duo E8600 (2 X 3.33GHz) 1333MHz FSB/6MB L2 Cache

4GB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x2GB)

ASUS® P5N-D: DDR2, SATAII, 2 x PCI-e x16, 2 PCI, 2 x PCI-e x1

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT PCI EXPRESS

ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD) (Realtek)

600W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

I was thinking of going for 64bit - How can I check if my memory / processor will work with 64 bit software?

Anyone see any problems?

I know that it is a complete new install from XP by the way.. ;)

Friar

• 2. Administrators

You should be OK Colin, your CPU and memory will both run 64-bit Win7. Although you won't gain much of a performance advantage over 32-bit, using 64-bit gives you the capability to increase the memory over the 4GB threshold should you want to...

I ran 64-bit 7 on a nearly identical setup quite happily. You should find the PC is significantly faster running 7 vs. XP (I've lost my original benchmark figures - by 'lost' I mean they're somewhere buried on one of my drives - but I know I got an improvement)

Personally I think 7 is (and has been) one of the best OS's Microsoft has produced and it'll be interesting to see how Windows 8 measures up...

Get a cheap (legit) copy of Win 7 by registering one of the kids here - http://www.software4students.co.uk/ and you can buy software at big discounts. Win 7 Pro 64-Bit upgrade is £38.49 inc VAT and delivery (Office 2010 Pro Plus is £37.89 (2 licences!))

Jabo

Colin, you know with Win7 and a graphics card update your system will run anything? The graphics card dosen't have to be supa-spangly either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gainward-GTX-460-Golden-Sample-/130621651301?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item1e69a83965

As is the way with these things it's all going vertical and gravity is doing it's bit.