Getting A New Hardrive, One Question Though.....

fruitbat

• 2. Administrators

Hi guys, quick question, i'm getting a new hardrive, and am leaning towards this one,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-336-WD&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1665

however, this is Sata 3, and my motherboard is only sata 2, so i would need this,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CC-004-SR

to get the full speed out of it.

my problem and question is, my motherboards PCIexpress 4 slot is already filled by my soundcard, so will that fit in either of the 2 spare PCI express 16 slots?

should do shouldn't it?:huh:?

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'd just go for the slower SATA II connection.

Saves 32 pounds, and you'll be sure it will work fine, albeit, yes, a bit slower. Would you notice though? Do you boot your system every 15 minutes? Hm, if you odo lots of video processing, it might be of benefit...

And, by the next mobo you buy, you'll feel like you got yourself a brand new harddisk as well... :icon_cyclops_ani:

• 2. Administrators

Hmm. Not sure.

Also a device in spare 16 slot could slow down primary 16x slot?

that part won't be a problem, board can do 16x 16x 1x or 16x 8x 8x across the 3 PCIex16 slots, and i'm running a single gpu (one slot).

i do have 2 normal PCI slots as well(by normal, not express)

basically if it fits into the express slot, no probs, but does it?

I'd just go for the slower SATA II connection.

Saves 32 pounds, and you'll be sure it will work fine, albeit, yes, a bit slower. Would you notice though? Do you boot your system every 15 minutes? Hm, if you odo lots of video processing, it might be of benefit...

And, by the next mobo you buy, you'll feel like you got yourself a brand new harddisk as well... :icon_cyclops_ani:

yeah thats the other option, cause obviously HD is backward compatible to sata 2, but it never hurts to have quicker hd access, especially for bloody clod.

Me, I'd suggest just using SATA II until the time comes for a new mobo.

And hey, never mind the bear, green wellies are just weird and strictly for the chattering classes, new age, Range-rover, Sloane Ranger glitterati, who never pushed a wheel-barrow in anger - let alone shagged a sheep. :laughing7:

A bear wearing green boots is kinda weird if ya ask me.

Yeah, and everybody knows bears always wear fishnets when they visit the sheep. Not to mention they prefer black sheep. Or was it that the sheep prefer black bears? Oh man now I'm confused.