control set-up your opinions/suggestions would be welcomed

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

hi. i have recently added a second joystick to assist in flight control. my main stick is a saitek cyborg evo. i use this for the 4 weapons. the hat for looking around. i aslo have increase/decrease prop pitch on 2 seperate buttons. i use the slider for the throttle. there are two other buttons as yet un programmed. i use this in my right hand. in my left hand i am using the stick that the evo replaced (due to stick malfunction) logitech 3d pro. on this stick i have the trigger for center view. the hat for radiator (move to left) and flaps up (hat forward) and down (hat down). the slider is set for aileron trim. the other 4 buttons located around the hat are set for cockpit view / external view / wide view and zoom view.

there are 6 other programable buttons on this stick, as well as hat move to right.

what do you guys think are the most important settings to have to hand on these buttons? (the two spare on the evo and the six on the logitech)

Some things I have mapped that you didn't mention are supercharger stage sttings, airbrakes (major important on the P-38.) and separate engine select for starting and pitch settings (for the multi-engine models). One more good one would be for mixture settings. Another thing I found that helps alot in trim settings is to have rudder trim mapped, but it would necessitate another slider I think. Not sure if you can map that to a button. Although, you may be able to do it in increments. I can't remember if there are keybindings in the game for it or not. (at work atm).

All I can think of right now....

• 1. DDz Quorum

And I would add Gear to that list, not having to take one's eye off the screen when raising/lowering gear is handy.

Wants to be away from accidental activation though - gear down @300+Kmh doesn't make for good undercarriage!

I have mixture mapped to buttons too, but rarely used.

Map is handy.

WEP is near essential to be at hand as it gets used so much by me.

Man! I don't have any suggestions except to say that sure is one weird setup.

On the very earliest of planes (1910ish) before the current system of a single stick was widely accepted some planes had two sticks. Right one was often for elevator, and the left was for ailerons. Just to be clear I DON'T recommend it. But your setup sure reminded me of them.

My real recommendation would be to ditch the original old stick and make a button box out of it. Mine is a ugly as sin but it works too well to replace it. Besides it is so ugly it is kind of a source of pride now.

My real recommendation would be to ditch the original old stick and make a button box out of it. Mine is a ugly as sin but it works too well to replace it. Besides it is so ugly it is kind of a source of pride now.

Show Us :D I like Ugly as sin things. Did anyone see my face pic Avitar before I changed it to my devil dog rug eater?

fugly.jpg

Fugly! Guess how much the parts were? Masking tape don't come cheap you know! :lol: I taped it together so I could open it up expecting the damn thing to give me constant trouble but it has NEVER EVER given me a lick of trouble! Go figure! I had all sorts of plans to make a better box for her but I never will now. Something this fugly deserves to live.

is it just me or are those pci slot covers? :shock:

Indeed. I have mountains of them laying around. So I recycled them into the handles for what today are Rudder trim (fore) and Aileron trim (aft).

Ahem! I intended to clip off the ends and mount some decent little wooden knobs but never bothered. The cost was 15 cents. I had to buy a game port plug for it.

I'm dying to make my own trim tabs (all three on one box). Any other buttons that could be snuck in there would be great as well. Can anyone think of a nice (and cosmetically appealing) way of doing this?

I was planning on developing this anyway, but it would rock if our squadrons could develop an easy to build schematic that we could distribute free of charge to fellow IL2'ers. Would anyone be game in collaborating with me on this? It can't be more difficult than my last project, built from scratch:

100_8187.jpg

I have to show her off every chance I get.

But yeah, I'd love to put together a CAD file or otherwise that would tell someone how to build a little panel box start to finish. Anyone up to the challenge?