I'm Feeling Homicidal......

DD_Brando

..... and it's directed towards the guy who handed me this POS to repair, or the POS itself :icon_puke_r:

Trouble is that I built the thing, albeit from second-hand parts, and it was a nice piece two years ago. Now it's filled with a film of nicotine (he's a seriously heavy smoker) and, worst of all, it won't even boot into BIOS. It shows the static display with the instruction "press Del to enter setup" and "Tab for loading screen" but it goes no further. I get the chittering sound that denotes the keypress, after that it beeps and dies. It's an AMI BIOS and I've checked the beep codes - trouble is, it will vary between one, two or three beeps. All of these denote memory errors - but I've also tried using some Mushkin which I know is good. :notfair:

Oh, and I tried the AMIBOOT.ROM solution - but the floppy drive won't start up despite giving a green light. I can't decide whether to go down the new EEPROM route, £10 plus P&P, or just drop the thing over the balcony. Ugh!

On a cheerier note, here's an email response from a Canadian buddy to my request for a 939 mobo: I love it.

Sorry, nothing here other than my wife's pc .. I've been trying for a few years to get an upgrade, but she won't leave.

So, is that a paraprosdokian, Rog?

• 1. DDz Quorum

It is indeed Ross!

You have, no doubt, tried the battery removal and long term CMOS reset jumper thing too?

You need a 939 Mobo? Got 2 or 3 laying around here..

It is indeed Ross!

You have, no doubt, tried the battery removal and long term CMOS reset jumper thing too?

You need a 939 Mobo? Got 2 or 3 laying around here..

I'm going to leave it in cmosclr overnight and if no joy I'll be in touch, thanks for that, Rog :thumbsu:

@ Nick. A bag of Levingtons followed by a hydrangea I reckon, and well watered in, arrrr! :baaa:

@Jedi - your time will come my friend B)

And off to bed with Ovaltine and a good book on my Kindle - Apache by Ed Macy ; wicked! :brushteeth::D

'Night all

If you take the mind not to kill him.

I've salvaged several smoker systems by complete diss-assembly and washing them down with automotive electrical cleaner in the aerosol can, blow dry with compressed air about 20psi regulated and dry. Then a pencil eraser on all the contacts that you can get to with it.

The worst I've gotten into was a smoker with cats once.:icon_puke_r: