I'm going RC

gec

bought my self a RC helicopter. It is a coaxial outdoor model for beginners.

here'sthe link

i was really surprised how hard it is to fly even a beginners model. i'm not sure is it my flying or the chopper is supposed to be so unstable. would be very grateful for any tips u have for me. it has a gyro. maybe needs some tuning?

Tonar should have some good tips.

All I know is you can get a RC simulator program and you can plug in your controller in to your PC and fly a virtual helicopter using the controls you would with a real version. So you can break the virtual helicopter a thousand times before you move on to the real thing, once you've gotten the hang of it.

Don't know how much that costs though?

i've got the simulator with the chopper but it is so unrealistic that i've gave up on it :( for now i'm just trying to make it hover stable. next would be to try to fly it some meters ahead and then to try to get it back.

Not being an expert by any sense I would try to add some weight directly under the rotor shaft. Farther down the better, like tape some coins to the belly(no idea how much weight the thing could lift).

It seems to me that would make it less responsive to the controls if it's too twitchy for you to get used to at first.

Even the slightest gust of wind would be like a 50 mph wind to a small craft like that .... indoors maybe?

And shouldn't a helicopter balance right at the rotor shaft?

it's not the prob in balance. i've played a bit with direction gyro and got it to be bit steadier at least in one direction. and yes i am doing all that indoors. at least till i get little training.

it's handful and very interesting. i've learned a lot about chopper flying.

Holy crap Tonar, that thing sounds like a food processor. Talk about being caught between a wall and a sharp place. On the other hand that look on your face is definitely a Kodak moment!

Gec, I recommend leaving yourself an escape path if your gonna try anything like that!

yeah, hekctick, isn't it!?

at the moment i'm doing just that; trying to keep it steady hovering in one place in my room.

I can, like go out and walk behind it and shit too.

how's my english doing

:o "I can, like go out and walk behind it and shit too."

Damn Gec, that's a neat trick. I'm curious as to the reaction of the local population; are they not offended by some guy operating a flying buzz-saw and "doing his business" at the same time?

That should make U tube for sure.

And Tonar, that vid is worthy of "North America's most fercked up videos."

I think the original AirHogs were air powered but mostly batteries now.

http://www.airhogs.com/

There must be 100 different ones. Planes, ornithopters, heli's, gyros, zero-G cars..... wow.

Saw this one a few days back for the first time.

http://www.buyswitchblade.com/

Short duration no doubt but I'm impressed by their innovation.