Outstanding pictures of WW2 British Aircraft

Blairgowrie

I've been browsing and gazing for more then an hour!

Amazing!

Offcourse, the spitfire pics caught my eye, but I loved the early and the late version of the Hawker as well....I noticed the mirror on the early version, and NO mirror on the late one???

Amazing what quality they are, one can see a hair, that sharp......

Question?...the Whirlwind, is she an offspring of the Mosquito? she looks kinda like it, only much slimmer...

Very happy you shared this with us BG!!

I'll share some pics soon (promised) of the model I made of a Spitfire CW flown by a Polish Squadron...

I've been browsing and gazing for more then an hour!

Question?...the Whirlwind, is she an offspring of the Mosquito? she looks kinda like it, only much slimmer...

They do look similar but there is really no connection. The Whirlwind was designed around the Rolls Royce Pelegrine engine which turned out to be underpowered. If they had used Merlins instead it would have meant a complete wing design and probably tail section as well because the Merlins were much larger. Up to 15,000 ft the Whirlwind was faster than an early mark Spit. It could have been one of the great aircraft of WW2 but sadly they only built 114 of them. Four 20mm Hispanos in the nose.

The photography is far above combat type photography. These guys were pros, or at

least trained by pros. These types of photos with this kind of clarity, proper exposure,

and lighting are ultra rare for ww2. They all look like they were taken by the guys

at the ww2 vintage magazine 'Air Trails' (i still have all my dad's ww2 issues) which had color photography as well. :idea:

I spent a couple of hrs last ngiht and im gonna try and get ALL of them. My fav

sectons so far are the RAF P-400s and the Manchester bombers. You just dont see

many pix of those (lousy) planes.

There was a great shot of a brit paratrooper wiht a 1928 Thompson wiht the

Chicago style foregrip. Its almost like somebody went back in time with a

modern Cannon or Pentax digital SLR. :!:

Aviation photography is VERY difficult under the best of conditions even with

modern stuff. I just wonder what kind of equipment they were using. :?: