canadian forces day

Fireman

won't be around today....

CFB Borden is hosting it's Canadian Forces Day and will be having a small airshow.

The Snowbirds will be there as well as a CF-18 demo team, plus there will be vintage aircraft as well.

Never been to an airshow, so I'm looking forward to it.

Will try to get some pics but I'm not much of a photo bug..............

Looking forward to the pics Fireman. I hope Enforcer's type of photography has influenced some of your photos. :icon_thumleft:

nope the only ladies you're gonna see are my own..........(just gotta get them downloaded into photobucket then I'll post a few of the pics)

ok, some pics........

goes with out saying...

IMG_6758.jpg

Another reason we were there today....

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

They were letting us sit in various helicopters, the snowbirds tutor and this.......

IMG_6771.jpg

The show started with the Skyhawks parachute team...

IMG_6807.jpg

Followed by these CF-18's with Norad markings.......

IMG_6827.jpg

husband and wife team....

IMG_6831.jpg

Then came the Tiger Moth trainer....

IMG_6839.jpg

Then this trainer (cant remember what they said it was)......

IMG_6812.jpg

Followed by a couple of stunt pilots (the little blue plane was piloted by the US aerobatics champion.....very fast and HIGHLY manouverable plane)...

IMG_6836.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

Followed by the plane that I was waiting for (they actually cleared the airspace around Toronto Pearson International airport to allow him to travel to our airshow)....

A Mark XVIe Spitfire.....

IMG_6848.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

We had a female wingwalker as well.......

IMG_6860.jpg

And finally, the Snowbirds.....

IMG_6866.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

There was also a ton of stuff for the kids to do......

The soldiers had set up a Kiddie Commando obstacle course with a bunch of different obstacles...here are a couple pics of that too......

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

I took a bunch more photos of some of the older jets and copters sitting around and of the airshow too.

not sure....I think they said it was part of the "Vintage Wings of Canada" collection or something to that effect.

more info here:

http://www.borden.forces.gc.ca/998/5/5-25-eng.asp

this site actually has the history of this particular aircrafts airframe:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?a=210&lang=en-CA

One thing I hadnt realized about CFB Borden was that it was the birthplace of the RCAF....much of the training was done here in the tigermoth and that Harvard plane before the spitty came along.

Too bad they didnt maintain that status, the runway isnt capable of handling much these days......the spitty, snowbirds and CF-18's took off and landing at our regional airport.

thanx for the pix man. Great job for a first show, despite the obvious difficult lighting. REally sharp shots of both the prop planes and the jets.

However, for failing to know wtf a Harvard/T6 is, you must journey to the Canadian warplane heritage museum three weekends in a row to make penance.

What kinda camera and What size lens were you using anyway? Just curious.

I have one of the original Canon digital rebels (6.3 megapixels)

I used my 75-300mm ultrasonic lense...........

And I just used the cameras default "sports" mode to catch my moving targets............

Maybe I should use the Harvard in my next DF challenge..........too bad sim doesnt have it....lol

Some interesting news this morning........

The show was 2 days long and yesterdays performances had 2 little hiccups:

Looked like a really nice show Andrew.

yeah it was.....

I took over 180 pics.......

the only planes I didnt show in my post were the 8' RC AVRO Arrow and the Glider (which was pretty cool too.)

There were about 4-5 other older jets sitting around along with that F-18 people were sitting in, plus 3 choppers too.

I took a pic of my kids hanging off of some A-A missles mounted under the wings of the F-18.....lol

Nice equipment. That lens is a good range for airshow work. The sports setting puts a higher shutter speed than normal to catch action shots, so it worked out pretty well. The prop on the Spit would be just a bit more blurred if you had manually chosen 1/250 in tv mode, but it still looks pretty good.

I just got a new Cannon S5, a small but amazingly capable camera, and a 430EX flash that is the most advanced and fastest one Ive ever had. That thing has a 430mm zoom lens built into it that is no more than three inches long when extended. I dunno how they do that.

thanks guys......

BTW, I dont know how to use the manual modes....lol

Tv (shutter speed priority mode) is easy - just turn your dial to it, set your shutter speed to the desired speed, in this case 1/250, and the camera will still do all of the rest.

Is that for all camera & lenses? I have a Finepix 6900 with a tele and wide angle.

Pretty much all new cameras have those settings. Aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, but most people just use the Program mode, where the camera does all the settings.

Shutter priority is the one that Carl is trying to get people to use at airshows, otherwise the camera freezes the prop dead, and it looks like someone threw a model up in the air and snapped a photo. They're all really nice photos, guys. Slowing the shutter down is just a suggestion to get a bit of blur in the prop, which has a nicer effect.

warbird1.jpg

Aperture priority is another thing altogether - it sets your depth of field. Carl can probably explain it better, as I don't remember which f-stop limits the depth of field, and which one keeps as much of the background in focus as possible: IIRC, (correct me if I'm wrong, Carl or anyone else) the larger f-stop, such as f-22, causes the background to remain in focus, while a lower f-stop, say f-1.8, causes your subject to remain in focus while the background gets blurred?