TrackIR

Friar

http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPath=24&ref=73

is where I got mine from - use select currency button to change to £ - it ships from uk

my reviews are here

http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/index.htm

and cover from basic tir3 to tir3 + vector expansion to finally tir 4

my advice would be to bite the bullet and go for tir4 as it is worth it

The vector expansion, included in TIR 4 or an addon for TIR3, allows you to lean left and right as well as back/forward and up/down and this will be supported in BOB - it isnt supported in IL2 so you cant lean round posts but the tracking is improved when you use the vector expansion. It is all explained in the reviews or on naturalpoints web site.

• 1. DDz Quorum

many thanks dave,

i think i can really only go to trackir3. that will give me left/right/up/down correct? just not backward and forward?

what do you use for a reflector? spot on a cap/mike boom? does that work well?

i thought about putting some sort of white led run by battery on a cap. would this give better results? do you know of any examples.

my fingers are itching to push "buy" just wanted to be re-assured that v3 will be enough for me. if not then i will not buy it at all.

also

i will need to add usb ports. what does the panel reccommend, usb hub/powered hub/pci card ?

many thanks for advice

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sged, I don't think you will find them in stores....I could be wrong.

V3 can be expanded with a paid add-on for the extra degrees (lean/tilt/elevate).

V3 will more than fit your requirements, I don't know what the price difference between 3 and 4 for is, but if I were buying one now I'd go for V4.

But I'm happy with my V3 and it's vector expansion :)

I use a track IR hat with the vector clip, it has 3 reflectors arranged in a triangular array.

White LED is a very good idea!

A powered USB hub is easiest, a pci add-in card is best.

I have the V4 and I love it, it's very precise and has a bit larger field of view than the earlyer units, and the base allows for easy mounting to flatscreens. I use a clerk's visor with the vector thingie, works as well as a ball cap but doesn't cook me noggin.

i thought about putting some sort of white led run by battery on a cap. would this give better results? do you know of any examples.

Frior-one,

I've done this and it improved the reception of my ancient TrackIR1- see the ugly cap on the keyboard tray:

Simpit.jpg

I've actually made a much nicer unit (in case the one on the cap broke), enclosed in a small clear plastic box, which I would be glad to send to you- PM me if/when you get TIR.

It's basically a battery, an infrared LED, a switch, a potentiometer and a resistor (the "nicer unit" also has a coloured LED to indicate it's on, so the battery doesn't get drained by mistake).

CG

• 1. DDz Quorum

You may not need either, Colin requires one because he has run out of USB ports.

Most systems these days come with 6 - 8 or more USB ports.

TIR4 is just the head tracker, no card or hub.

• 1. DDz Quorum

thanks guys.

i needed to get the usb pci card as my dell has 2 ports on the front of the machine in the worst desgined place ever. they are at the bottom but the plugs are inserted at an upwards angle. also under a flap. so crawling on the floor is required and if done at night with a torch as the flap causes shadows from the room lights. anyway the cables were dangerous and I and the kids have nearly tripped over them a couple of times. so i wanted to move them out of the way.

so with this card i am actually re-deploying them. from the front to the back so that the cables come over the top of pc.

i have fitted the card and it is working fine.

WHEN i get trackir i will be needing another slot out of the way. so the 2 new spare i have now will be good.

Cheers

I gave TIR3 a shot last year and had alot of trouble setting up some kind of dead zone. I would start a flight and before it was over with I was having to contort my head far away from its' original take off position just to land and the crik in the ol' neck was a pain to deal with. So I sold it. I even experienced a bit of nausea from the movements but I believe alot of this could be eliminated if I wasn't flying with my head cocked sideways.

Since we have a resident guru that writes reveiws for TIR and in their appreciation has hooked him up, I may give it another shot and ask Dave to help me get it setup properly.

Quazi - when I did the review for TIR 3 I credited a guy with helping me as I used his profile. He got in touch and is actually a beta tester for TIR. Anyway when I did the review for TIR 4 I realised that a lot of people would like help in setting up profiles so I got in touch with him and he produced this excellent guide

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/tir_setup.htm

there is also some thoughts and hints from users here

http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/ ... review.htm

so S to charvel for his profile - which I still use and to the others- I just put them together mate.

Hey guys, I need some advice here....

I'm in the running for buying Tir.......now......

Or I buy Tir4............or I buy Tir3 AND a 3D glasses set......ya think these glasses are worth it? anyone tried them or heard about it from someone who uses them?

Waiting for my money to get processed to Pay-Pal, so any day now :)

Ok, another thing...if Tir3 is already that good, Except from the zooming in/out function it adds (Tir4) not working in IL-2....what else is sooo much better worth the extra buck?

• 1. DDz Quorum

3D glasses are a gimmick really.

I have them, they can work well with nVidia cards but difficult with ATI (have to use Edimensional driver).

Not had them working with IL2 since AEP days, something changed and the image is no longer usable :(

sged - this game does not support 6dof - but the new battle of britain will.

however the tir4 is better than tir3 +ve and is the version I would go for- you can see my comments in the link I gave to Quazi above.

I have used 6dof in WOV Battle of britain and it is awsome - I cant wait to see it in one of Olegs sims.

SWEEEET!!!!

TRACKIR is impresive, even to the non sim person. My girlfried was amazed at what it was doing.

Just watch out, and stay off the SIM for at least 1hr after eating :D May cause queeziness(spelling?) :wink:

• 1 month later...