Some pictures of my grandfather's service (427 Bomber Squ.)

Cold_Gambler

Went to dinner at my Aunt's place tonight.

I'd asked her if she could pull out some of his war-time stuff for me to look at. Here are some pictures:

My grandfather served with 427 Bomber Squadron from '42 until '45:

42d2ef06.jpg

He worked in the intelligence section (aerial reconnaissance). Here's a picture of his kit bag, "wedge" and a cannister of undeveloped film negatives:

85d29f19.jpg

The images on the negatives appear to be of potential targets, many bridges and a railhead next to a river. I say potential targets because there is no apparent damage to the structures and a complete absence of bomb craters; most of the footage was taken at high altitude with a camera pointed straight down, but some of the images were taken at lower altitude (~1000-2000 ft is my guess) and sideways from a position just behind the trailing edge of the aircraft.

Here's a Lanc; note the sheep (below #1 engine) :)

e6c3a103.jpg

Here's an interesting photograph (sorry about the "flash-glare"- I suck)- it's difficult enough to see in the original but there are about 8 lancasters heading home, one of which is trailing a long plume of fuel from the starboard wing tank:

cd16021a.jpg

This is his mess kit:

e5510c50.jpg

And here are his medals:

8f6e4dbb.jpg

Nothing of great note, mostly recognition for his service.

I'm quite sure there are more reconnaissance photos/negatives. I have a (mistaken?) recollection that there is a large tube (approx. 3 feet long by 2 in diameter) in my aunts basement but she didn't seem sure what I was talking about.

Hope you found this of interest, sorry about the size of some of these-

C_G

nice pictures mate- Its nice to see historical aviation items with links to our squad mates. And you should not be so modest , your grandfathers service history , like so many others, is much appreciated by many in UK .

• 2 weeks later...

My pleasure guys. I knew you'd appreciate the pics.

There was other stuff:

-his ID card, pay-book, a RAF issue correspondence case, other pictures of that same lancaster, pictures of his mates, a picture of the King and Queen apparently on a visit to the airbase, some pictures of a sea-side village. Very interesting correspondence from my grandmother in Canada to him (she was not especially happy that he'd gone overseas leaving her with my 2-5 year-old father :wink: ).

I'm really hoping that we can find that large tube of reconnaissance prints; that little tube of negatives was interesting but showed essentially three photo runs: so most of the pictures overlap. That tube, as I recall it, contained any developed images of different locations.