Problems Installing the 46 DVD

Blairgowrie

I read this thread over at UBI Zoo re a number of people having problems with installing the DVD because their "Firmware" was not up to date. Since all or most of us will hopefully be installing the 46 add on shortly I thought I would post this now. I wasn't aware this could be a problem.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 3071048315

• 1. DDz Quorum

i sorry to say that i am getting these problems.

the game loads from the icon but leaves the windows tool bar at the foot of the screen. when the front screen comes up the cursor does not work.

i have gone to the link on securom but do not fully understand their solution as i do not know which device my cd/dvd is primary or secondary.

:(:o

• 1. DDz Quorum

Many thanks to Chris for last nights help.

The problem i had was that i got the message to the effect that the game could not load because it timed out reading from the dvd rom.

it offered me a link to the securom site and the suggestd fix which involved changing some of the device manager settings for the drive.

after talking to Chris it turned out that my setting were ok.

the next thing we did was to do a flash upgrade to the drive hardware. we dug about a bit on the dell site and found an upgrade for my make of drive.

i applied this patch, re-booted and the game was then able to load.

it does seem to take a long time for the menu screen to come up.

it does not load up quite like the previous version though.

it loads with the windows tool bar still at the foot of the screen and the in-game cursor locked. i have to alt-tab out of the game back to desktop and then click on the minimised game entry on the tool bar. this then brings it back to full screen with the ingame mouse working.

i aslso had a problem with the sound echoing / reverberating. this also effected teamspeak. Bbloke is a great guy, and i was really glad to hear his voice helping me but not with an half second echo!

i rebooted again and reduced the settings on my audio acceleration and that problem now seems to have gone.

Chris seems to think that the startup lockup is because another program (probably to do with securom) is launching and taking the window focus. this has to be cleared and then i am back to normal.

perhaps when i can carve out a bit more time i will see what it flys like!

so much for a "just popping onto the pc for ten minutes to do something............"

• 1. DDz Quorum

UPDATE ON MY PROBLEM

i sent off a launch analysis to securom laast night. they replied to me this morning saying that they had had a look at the report and it pointed to the fact that it was not a secrom error and that i should contact the software supplier.

i had a browse on the ubi forums this morning and there were a few posts that mentioned that it could be a mis-match between my game screen resolution and my desktop resolution, i have

you should change both th 1024*768 - it will make your desktop better looking and is the recommended resolution for the game mate also try updating your video drivers to latest if you arnt already running these- what video card and drivers are you using currently ?

as your card is quite old then Id try the 66.93 set which was the best I tried when I had my fx5900xt - I tried a few up to I think 84.xx - and always went back to these-get them here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=904

I dont know if you will see much benifits from the newer drivers as later ones were developed for the 6xxxx seriese- but its been a year since

• 1. DDz Quorum

i have d/l the drivers dave suggested and installed them.

i do not know what to set the differnt options for to get the best out of it, for the moment i have selected the default "fastest" option. i have not yet been able to wangle any time to try it out! but hoping to get flying agian soon

colin-here is the best guide to getting the most from your drivers

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

I wouldnt set your AA or AF higher than 2* as you will suffer from frame rate drop with your card - play black death in excellent and you should hopefully get low 30s average fps at 1024*768 but you might have to drop to 800 * 600

I noticed an increase in black death in 46 when I copied my config file from my old install.

I would also make sure that I dont have the text at the top describing what the AI are saying and make sure your sound settings are ok and that will help

• 1. DDz Quorum

thanks for that dave, i will have a proper look when i get a chance. i am just dipping in and out of the forums when ever i can get a chance at the moment.

i have ai sound and sub-titles turned off and have had for some time.