Irish Whiskey Tasting Dinner

Blairgowrie

I just got back from a trip to London, Ontario. I was staying with my sister-in-law and her new boyfriend asked me to join him for a whisky tasting dinner that he puts on once a month for about 40 guys in a local pub called the Waltzing' Weasel. Usually it is single malt scotches they sample but this month it was Irish. They are up in the $200 a bottle range and have sampled over 100 single malts. Most of the guys who attended were Profs from the local University, Doctors and Lawyers.

What a fun night it was but these guys drink way too much even for me!

My consumption was 3 pints of Smithicks (Irish draft bitter and my favourite beer) and 6 glasses of Irish Whiskey. By the end of the evening I was feeling no pain. That came next morning.

I was seated opposite a nice guy who turned out to be a Lutheran Pastor. This guy could drink like a fish and attends every tasting. At one stage, after tasting a 20 year old Jameson ($90 a bottle) he declared that he could detect the taste of leather. I don't know why but I chipped in and said "and perhaps a hint of whip". That brought the house down and the pastor laughed the hardest.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Wow. What a treat :)

When in Dublin the back end of last year I sampled Bushmills 'Millenium'.

mmmm, and at £30 a glass I made my one glassful last...!

'a hint of whip' Bloody hell Jim, we can't let you get taken anywhere can we!

Im going to Dublin on saturday! this might be blasphemey but i hate whiskey

i tried to like it and a good friend of mine has attempted to convert me, but to no avail.

coincidentally i was talking to a guy from the states at a wedding i attended in Ireland. He loved Smithwicks too. I couldnt believe it, its not exactly well regarded over in ireland.

maybe u guys get a better export version or something...

Irish or Scotch Glenn? My favourite single malt Scotch is Dalwhinnie 15 year old. Very reasonably priced and doesn't have that heavy peaty taste associated with the Western Isles single malts.

The Irish whiskeys we sampled were Bushmills, Cooleys and Jameson 20 year old. Almost everyone agreed the last one had the best taste.

Irish or Scotch Glenn? My favourite single malt Scotch is Dalwhinnie 15 year old. Very reasonably priced and doesn't have that heavy peaty taste associated with the Western Isles single malts.

The Irish whiskeys we sampled were Bushmills, Cooleys and Jameson 20 year old. Almost everyone agreed the last one had the best taste.

I think I am going to pick me up a bottle of Dalwhinnie. Thanks BG.

I think I am going to pick me up a bottle of Dalwhinnie. Thanks BG.

Oh Glenn! You mean it's for me?

What a guy!

Im going to Dublin on saturday! this might be blasphemey but i hate whiskey

i tried to like it and a good friend of mine has attempted to convert me, but to no avail.

coincidentally i was talking to a guy from the states at a wedding i attended in Ireland. He loved Smithwicks too. I couldnt believe it, its not exactly well regarded over in ireland.

maybe u guys get a better export version or something...

That is very possible. I know that Johnnie Walker Red in the US is quite different from the stuff we get here in Canada.

And Dazza, when I was your age I hated scotch as well. It certainly is an "acquired" taste.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Glenmorangie....my favourite scotch, then there is Laphroaig which is a little more peaty.

A wee drop of water helps smooth it out and brings out the taste more too, I used to think it was sacrilege to add water to a fine whisky....but I mellowed in that regard at least!