A Warning About Backups

Kira

Backup your backups. 

I just had my 2TB backup drive delete everything when it said it needed to do a check on the files to make sure they weren't corrupt, which it's done before, so I wasn't concerned.  Lost around 1TB of info including old pictures of Mr. Cat.  Those of you who know me know how important those were.

Sigh.  Well, I still have a cat and a camera, but they won't be the same.

The really old pictures of Kira, however, are gone for good.

• 1. DDz Quorum

:sad5:

One can never have too many backups...

Make 'm on different media.

I am using a combo of NAS (well, external hard disk, only connected during backups), USB sticks, DVD ...

Most recent is usually on the NAS

Some interim backups on some of the USB sticks.

DVD mostly to create 'archive backups', to be stored, and not touched again... until ... 

I am not keeping any administration of them, so whenever I need something, there's a chance I will have to spend some time looking for the correct stick / disk ...

Yeah.  I've a whole blankity blank stack of blank CD/DVDs that I had for exactly that purpose, but "never got around to it".  I think I have some, but by no means all on those disks.  Grrrrrr.

Well, looks like I didn't do much updating of the files that I had put onto CDs, I'd just transferred most of them to the 2TB.  Most of the pictures, including the ones of Sir Cat are there.  Nothing of Kira, though.  Perhaps the family might still have some squirreled away somewhere...