Nvidia 570 To 780Ti

Crash

Next Friday I will be taking out my 570 and plugging in a tasty 780Ti to go with my 4k monitor. Last night there was a mention of installing a "clean brand new" set of drivers as opposed to keeping the drivers (latest version). What would the benefits be as I would be putting the same drivers back as I would remove?

There might be a good reason and I am interested in what that reason is. It could be because thats the way Windoze likes it. It certainly is a lot less logical the Amiga OS ever was and a hell of a lot bigger! My original Workbench partition was ........10 MEGS! including drivers and fonts and libs and commands and stuff.

That's what I am thinking Crash, no reason to re-install the drivers.

Some people will not agree.

Oh well... :shaunhb:

Oh dear, you'll have to put me on the list of sheep that will not agree ...

My experience only runs to Ati/AMD cards where I've found a proper uninstall of drivers and registry remnants essential when upgrading graphics. Forcing both Windoze & the software setup to recognize the hardware is the key with AMD, hence the re-install.

:salute: B

I don't think there are any benefits to be gained in re-installing the drivers you already have. 

However, be prepared to do some settings changes in lots of your games.  When I switched from a 460 to a 660ti the first thing I fired up was RoF - expecting unbridled loveliness all round.

It was blurghhhh.....and I had to spend an evening tweaking stuff to get the most out of what was obviously a much more capable card.

• 2. Administrators

Thanks to Nvidia's driver architecture, it should be a case of pulling the old card out and slapping in the new one as both these cards are supported by the same driver. That said, I'd download the latest version to your PC beforehand - just in case.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Various forums on the interweb come up with variations in advice so I would say that there is no hard and fast rule. For example, the official nvidia site http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/IO_13955.html says to uninstall first before upgrading the card and then reinstall new drivers (even though they could be the same ones). Doesn't give a reason why. A forum on the 'Geforce' site https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/687029/video-card-upgrade-driver-question/ says a little bit more but says both ways is ok. Tom'sHardware http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/315235-33-installing-graphics-card-steps says it isn't necessary but the comments on forums are a personal view from a non-tech person perhaps.

As it is so easy to do I use the update system for drivers on my nvidia and don't remove when going from one driver version to another. However when replacing a card I always uninstall the current drivers, put in the new card and reinstall new ones. I feel that as it is new hardware I am allowing the card to be properly configured instead of using computer settings (not graphics card settings) that were configured by different hardware. Just me but this gives me peace of mind instead of wondering if it's properly configured and if I'm getting the most from the expensive picture-producing-electrical-thing I've invested in.

Cheerzen