OK some joystick advice?

DAZZA

Hello, i have to confess flying with you fine gentlemen has given my love of IL2 a second wind. Im increasingly thinking of getting a HOTAS stick.

Last night i was having a great time rocketing down in my P38 to help out our A20 torp guys, my 3d force feedback stick was bouncing all over the place, i was clinging on whilst trying to find the key for dive brakes (there were none, another story!) and as i tried to shoot and failed i thought- maybe i would enjoy a nice smooth and new stick, with precise control

now im not one to brag- but i think i do ok considering my rubbish setup, then again i have been flying for 2 years.

I also think I wont really get any better with the current level of control I have- for one thing I know twist stick rudder is bad for coordinated turns and I know my flying is technically very sloppy.

Now the other problem is my budget, I mean I've got a shiny new credit card but I'm not exactly flush. So in terms of purchases this will be the one and only big one I make.

With this in mind I'm erring towards an X45 from ebay. Two reasons, cheapest hotas and rudder rocker and i heard its a good stick.

My questions to owners of the X45:

Is it worth the money?

Likely to be cool second hand?

Precisely how does the rudder rocker work? My thinking with this is that an X52 would be exactly as bad, since its also twist rudder and theres no way Im getting pedals. Does the rudder rocker remove the gimp handed use that plagues twist sticks? Is it a viable alternative?

Ive got no desk space with all the other crap Ive got, is it feasible to mount it on a bit of wood and stick on my lap?

Anyone made the transition from force feedback to non-force feedback? I really like FF, but to be honest its a detriment when your on the edge of a stall and your stick starts hammering back and forth.

Is it a good idea to get it generally? I mean TIR is too expensive, but ive heard its revolutionary. I am pretty used to the hat view

Last point- considering the 3d force feedback has but one slider- throttle. Surely im missing out on a whole bunch of cool stuff, like trim on a slider, macro commands, and the general hotas coolness?

Funny an informal coop group is making me more serious! but its mainly for greater enjoyment and control

ok, back to work for me!

thanks

(i hope someone actually owns an x45!!!)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hehehe. Not sure about hiding it from your other half!

I have an X45 that is in a state of 'rest' pending me getting around to setting it up for my son.

I used it in conjunction with my MSFFB2 stick, leaving the joystick part to one side of the monitor as a 'button bay'.

The lead between the throttle and the Joystick may allow for it to be mounted on a board as you suggest, I'll have to measure it up to be sure.

I didn't get on with the rocker personally, and ended up banding it and assigning flaps to it (banding is where you can create 3 bands: left side up assigned to 'F', centre assigned to 'Null' and right side up assigned to 'R').

The rotaries are amongst it's strong points, assigning those to trim is a doddle.

If you are able to physically accommodate both sticks you then have the choice of twist rudder or the rocker :)

I first flew with a Logitech extreme pro, But I couldn't remove the slop with all the fine tuning in the world.(got it of Ebay for $10) I saw the pretty lights of the X52 and got all the change out of my couch and baught one.(there was a lot of change). My flying got smoother, I could hold my target in view long enough to think I might hit it. and it allowed me to ween myself off of the time compression. This new stick made the game more fun and less frustrating. I don't know much about the X42, but I assume it is just as nice. Go for it and buy a lamp shade to put on it so the girl will not know.

• 1. DDz Quorum
Go for it and buy a lamp shade to put on it so the girl will not know.

Now that is original!!

Darren, I'm not sure about the fine rudder control, I for one never really got on with it just as i never got on with the twisty either.

Which is why I now use pedals.

Major difference (apart from price) between the X45 and X52 is the X52 is a twisty again (there is no twist on the X45).

I have always enjoyed FFB, and have never tried flying without it intentionally ;)

Minimising the gun and cannon effects (or just removing the specific ffb files) had a major effect on my accuracy.

I'm still wildly in accurate but the barn door can at least be seen to wince now :lol:

Thing is im having difficulty finding a shop online thats even selling an x45, maybe i should go for a x52...

its too bright and shiny and expensive- i want i want

i knew this would happen :roll:

i shouldnt be getting anything im just back from hols!!

Dazza

Iv got a X-45 and really like it - the spring is pretty stiff and it takes a bit of gettting used to comming from other sticks- Iv had a microsoft and a thrustmaster in the past.

The throttle is superb and with all the extra buttons x 3 modes youll never run out - make sure you spend time setting up your profile and your set to go. - I can send you a profile and stick settings to get you started if you take the plunge.

The rocker sits under the throttle and in honesty its ok but I never felt I got the control using it that I felt I should have and ended up buying a set of CH rudder pedels.

I think youll only get a x-45 off e-bay but nearly new ones come up from time to time.

I too have an X-45 and like it immensely. In fact I have a backup X-45 in its box still.

The rudder rocker is useless as a rudder. I banded it to that when I press the right hand side it will drop a bomb, left side it will salvo the whole bomb load. (it presses bomb release like 8 times rapidly with a script) I also have it set to do this for rockets when I hit the pinkie switch. (right for one left to salvo the whole load of them! Like a Beaufighter should do!!)

I must confess that I have never explored the 2nd and 3rd mode switch.

The spring is stiff but with a few quick ties, all is smooth.

If I were to recommend a new stick today... I would likely go with the X-52.... but since I already have the x-45 I would keep the throttle and try out a CH Fighterstick, as the CH and X-52 are comparable in price. Also I have rudder pedals and do not need the twisty stick that the X-52 has. I rather like twist stick for rudder. I had one years ago when flying CFS1 and was good with it.

Saitek on their website offers some reconditioned products and when they are in stock they are a rather excellent buy. I bought my X-45 there for $39 USD. So if you check out ebay you may as well check out reconditioned Saitek as well.

Here is the link for that:

http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html

Good hunting.

Thanks for all the replies guys- lots of decent info. Especially BG! LOL

It was all hinging on the rudder rocker, if it was a viable alternative then i would go for the X45

but since i simply cannot countenance pedals (dont fit and too much of an expense) then im swinging to the X52.

oh yeah and also a lampshade!

X-52 m8!

I like my setup with the CH Flightstick, but no matter what, I think the general consensus is right. If you really like flying, and plan to do a bit of it, its worth it to spend some on the hardware. I tried my old sidewinder a while back with IL2 and, Blechh!