Wrestling With Gpu And Monitor Combination.

T_O_A_D

After combining the GTX660 with the new 27" Monitor I immediately started noticing things I hadn't with my 18"CRT I first blamed it on the difference of how the two actually work. But then got more irritated and decided it had to be chased down,

I've been wrestling the new Monitor and its settings, and blaming it and almost returned it, had planned to the other day, but decided to dig deeper after a week of pulling hair and start looking for another thing to blame.

So I hooked up old CRT and the same things were happening just not as noticeable, that's when I finally got out of tunnel vision.

I have a surging effect in my landscape in all Flight sims, and odd color banding radiating from the sun in the Blue sky.

I'd post a pick but I'm not home and I never uploaded it any were to get access to it while away.

It's very noticeable in ROF, not so much in Clod or IL2, but ROF is the future so thus my concern.

So far I've found one bad stick of Memory it won't even boot the machine if its in solo.

And the other stick is unstable, and locks up Memory test so I tested my old sticks and they both work fine.

But this did not fix the surge, so still looking. To bad I didn't start hunting it down last week, I could of just got them replaced from New egg, but now there 5 days out of return policy.

While testing I noticed I could force the resolution to 1920x1200 with Nvidia custom settings, and it actually worked.

1920x1200

post-468-0-72694100-1358717236_thumb.jpg

1920x1080 for comparison

post-468-0-63569000-1358717271_thumb.jpg

Hell I could even get it to run 2560x1440 too, but it cut my fps in half lol

And it doesn't really help with IQ either, most likely because it doesn't have enough actual pixels to make it work properly.

I posted over at EVGA and a guy mentioned he thought it was a drivers issue.

I'd already updated from the 310.70 to the 310.90 and had wiped all traces of the old drivers with the GTX260 previously being installed. via Driver Cleaner Driver Fusion, and Safe mode.

Come to find out I was still getting traces of the 306.21 version showing up in control panel.

I had to manually kill it in regedi and safe mode, and dual boot from XP and delete all traces of Nvidia from my Win7 folders. Once done I have drivers in and working properly with no surging.

Here are some screen shots of test results before with surging and after.

Before notice my 3d section is quite low.

post-468-0-28637300-1358717599_thumb.jpg

3D Mark 11 score before

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5579850

Here is my results after getting everything working. I have an I5 listed there to compare to running the 660 just for reference and my old original score on there to expose the gains.

post-468-0-36987900-1358717786_thumb.jpg

Now the funny thing is with the drivers installed, and it pushing the 3d graphics as it should I can no longer fool the GPU and Monitor to run out of range. 1920x1200 that tells me if you had some real smarts you could adjust something in the drivers to fool this setup again.

If I could I'd be happy with it, because it gave me more view and better clarity. The next jump up is to go to 120-1444hrz monitor still stuck at 1080, at about $200-250 more, or to get one that does 2560x1440 for about $400+

But after seeing this one I'm not sure a TN Panel no matter its speed can produce Colors any a where as close as the CRT did.

l could fall back to a 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel for superb colors, but not quite as fast refresh and input lag as some of the TN panels. For the same money as I've already invested in the 27"

You can get a 1920x1200 TN panel from $150 - $250 quite easily though.

I sent in for a Return RMA yesterday, just so I have that angle available, before my 30 days run out. This gained me 2 more weeks to get it to them.

When I get home I'm going to do some more tweaking, Because to send it back it cost $45 to put it back in stock plus the cost of shipping to return it, and I don't know what that will be till I check. But I bet it's at least $30 with insurance.

And on a $300 monitor I'm thinking that's a pretty big hit, If I want out of it, I should just try and sell it or live with it for a year or so looking for price drops on the better technology.

So Any thoughts I can ponder till I get home?

LCD monitors have their native resolution. The resolution they are built for. If u use resolution different than its native, the pic is distorted. on some monitors more on some less. at home i have 22" LCD with native resolution of 1680x1050. to get the best picture i always need to use that res. at work i have 20" LCD with native res of 1440x900.so, basically u need to know what is ur monitors native res and use it. Usually windows recognize that res automatically so your desktop is probably at that res so u can check there.

• 2. Administrators

Sounds like you might need to tweak the settings in the nvidia control panel. If the settings there aren't correct you can get that banding issue. I don' t think it's your new monitor in this case.

Yeh I know and understand the native resolution stuff, Only messed with it while side tracked talking to Fruity and his 1920x1200 24" and his desire to own nothing with less resolution than that.

As for the Nvidia settings, I've tried all the recommended ones I can find over at ROF site, short Nvidia Inspector ones. I'll try some of that Wed. Night and Thursday when I get back home.

• 2. Administrators

Well according to Jason that's normal for this sim. :-(

http://riseofflight....=506207#p506207

I hope it doesn't carry over to the new product.

Bet you my car it does.

I'm half expecting to see some rabid RoF fanboi post in your thread, thats how the sky is in real life!

Yeh you don't know the temptation its been to spout my thoughts and concerns off myself in there.

Been testing with that site that Jorri pointed me to.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I've found that my new Monitor is fast enough to keep up with the CRT to the naked eye and my camera.

post-468-0-33793400-1359045839_thumb.jpg

post-468-0-09534100-1359045866_thumb.jpg

post-468-0-67770300-1359045926_thumb.jpg

You can pause the vid and see that its stays even up, for the most part.

Now tweaking colors to try and get the new one to show as close to the same as the old CRT.

The CRT sure has a better and more advance OSD compared to the LCD the LCD is to general and apparently attempting to be dummy proof, thus crippling the tweaking. So I got it set up according to the web page and am now using Nvidia to finish it up.

After doing that I ran some tracks and played with guns watching Flack explosions and such and could not tell with naked eye any difference in game either.

No luck on the Banding in the sky though icon_e_sad.gif

I think you're gonna have to get used to an LCD monitor. Last year I dug my old PC and it's 19" CRT set out of the cellar to test what I thought was a faulty psu. I fired up IL2 1946 on the old pc and it was quite startling how superior a CRT screen is to an LCD.

The pay off is the conveniance in terms of size and use of an LCD.

Well I'vd been trying to mess with FlightFx and it will make them all but go away.

But even with all the profiles I've downloaded it induces a blur on everything loosing the quality of the artwork in the Pit.

It also washes out the colors, trying to get my head around that prog and how to use it.

I've tried several profiles and I can't tell any difference in them either.

Running ROF in window mode and sliding the bars on settings has no effect.

Hmm, hitting scroll lock even with the Enable SweetFx box unchecked makes the picture wash out and blurry?

Normal

post-468-0-98599400-1359056155_thumb.jpg

ScrollLock

post-468-0-34422700-1359056181_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if I have it installed wrong now.

I need to get you cornered Arthur.

It's LED, and its there on my CRT also but no where near as bad.

I never noticed it on the CRT though till after I saw it on this one.

FB has a Samsung and he mentioned he see's it now.

I purchased the ASUS because in the States it has 3 years warranty unlike the Samsung with only 1 year.

I'm not willing to spend several Hundred on anything PC for such a short warranty.

Possibly its my eyes, I've read somewhere that some of us see shit on the LCD that others don't.