Anyone know anything about cars and engines?

DAZZA

Hello guys

this is a bit of a funny question, but i know bugger all about cars and wondered if i should be concerned about the following things happening

bear in mind this is a 1999 fORD fOCUS 1.6, so im not expecting whisper quiet but:

1). The engine is very unsteady at idle. Putting on things like the window heater nearly stalls it, the lights dim. in fact sometimes it can seem to settle and keeps wavering around the idle point with the lights dimming and brightening

that said its not stalled once

2). Squeaky brakes? They stop ok, but they squeak, bad?

3). Wirring noise coming from the back of the car, axle?

i know this is a bit OT, but its been on my mind

im like a fecking bird!

• 1. DDz Quorum

A couple of guess, mind you...

1. The easisest and hopefully whats wrong, a new clean gas filter.

2. The brake pads have projections through the pad portion, so that when the pad gets too thin, the metal projection scrapes the drum or rotor. Continued use will require new drums & rotors. Expensive.

3. Just a guess,, maybe a wheel bearing or again could be the break pads just litely rubbing on something.

I still take my vehicles to the garage for major repairs, minor ones, I have the mechanic tell me what the problem is, he tells me if I can fix it.

Hello guys

this is a bit of a funny question, but i know bugger all about cars and wondered if i should be concerned about the following things happening

bear in mind this is a 1999 fORD fOCUS 1.6, so im not expecting whisper quiet but:

1). The engine is very unsteady at idle. Putting on things like the window heater nearly stalls it, the lights dim. in fact sometimes it can seem to settle and keeps wavering around the idle point with the lights dimming and brightening

that said its not stalled once

sounds like you need a new battery- in winter lots of short journies+lights+heaters etc drains it down

2). Squeaky brakes? They stop ok, but they squeak, bad?

like guys have said squeek is ok but sqeel( like fingers down chalkboards) are bad as metal on pads are hitting metal discs.

3). Wirring noise coming from the back of the car, axle?

could be anything - when was the last time you had an MOT and service ? most garages will warn you at these of impending problems.

1+2 can be sorted at local quick fit etc- but if they tell you something needs replaced ask to see why. some brakepads have a line on them or change colour to indicate when they are worn.

3 will need looked at by local garage- find a good local one by rep from folk at work or uni and take it round, if mot and service id due then get it all done at same time to save labour costs.

all the above just the thoughts of a rank amateur- ROG knows more I think

i know this is a bit OT, but its been on my mind

im like a fecking bird!

Thanks guys-

thing is Dave i only bought it last week from Reg vardy. MOT for a year and apparently a months technical warranty

they might have seen me coming, but i would suppose they would have checked it out reasonably?

take it back - tell the service manager exactly your concerns - it should have been serviced and MOted for you at the garage as part of the sale. It sounds more and more like the battery as it could have been sitting idle on a forecourt for a while. Squeeking is normal on a new set of pads as they bed in so that might be the case here

A 7 yr old motor will have the odd squeek and rattle but shouldnt be anything that would cause you concern

You should still have a cooling off period so threaten to return the car and get your money back if not satisfied, that should get you a new battery and set of pads if required. A mechanical warrenty wont cover things that wear out

If you have only had it a week and have a month's warranty why are you sitting here typing?

because scarey glasgow car salesmen freak me out :)

BLouse !!!

Take the girlfriend along - get her to put on her angry face - the one you get when you have been playing il2 for 4 hours and you promised to take her out .... in a minuite.

get her to nurse her wrath and keep it warm .... then unleash her full fury on the bloke and watch him crumble.

• 1. DDz Quorum

1. Sounds like it may be out of tune, engine should idle smoothly regardless of electrical load.

A failing battery would be evident when trying to start on cold mornings.

2. Squealing brakes, should never occur as this is prevented by using quality components and anti-sieze copper based grease on the back of the pads.

It is possible anti-squeal shims are missing or old.

3. Noise from rear on a front wheel drive car will be from wheel bearings or brake disks (rotors).

Use the warranty to get this checked out, if the answers don't satisfy you invest in getting it checked out by another Ford dealer.

If they find faults you have redress against Reg Vardy