Question For Sid And Painless

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Chaps, advice please...

I have a Co2 extinguisher which found its way home when I left my old job.

It was last serviced in 2006 and weighed 5.5kg

I have just weighed it and it still weighs 5.5kg

My question is, would this still be OK to keep around the house just in case?

Regards

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Chaps, advice please...

Regards

Friar

Should be ok but as with anything out of it's service regime it becomes potentially unreliable. Having said that, a service for a CO2 is a weighing........not a lot else to do with it.

A lot of people buy fire extinguishers for home and car use and they don't get serviced although it is recommended to replace it after a specified period of years. Don't know what that period is for a CO2 because they can't be bought for domestic use, home ones usually contain powder.

Cheerzen

• 1. DDz Quorum

Chaps, advice please...

Regards

Friar

Should be ok but as with anything out of it's service regime it becomes potentially unreliable. Having said that, a service for a CO2 is a weighing........not a lot else to do with it.

A lot of people buy fire extinguishers for home and car use and they don't get serviced although it is recommended to replace it after a specified period of years. Don't know what that period is for a CO2 because they can't be bought for domestic use, home ones usually contain powder.

Cheerzen

Colin M8,

As Sid said I wouldn't rely on it but....... If you ever have a small electrical fire then try it first (less mess). Also I know that should you ever find an intruder in your house ( heaven forbid) you can smash him near to death with a fire extinguisher without fear of prosecution because any court would find your being in possession of and using such an item reasonable ! :thumbsu:

My M8 keeps a 9kg dry powder at the top of his stairs for just such an eventuality.

Cheers Mick.

Our dryer caught fire a few months back (another story) and it took an entire extinguisher to put it out.

Dunno the exact size but about 8" dia by 2 ft tall ABC - lots of yellow powder. It was so old I was actually surprised it worked. I did check the pressure gauge fairly regularly but it had to be 15 years old.