Icon and callsign settings

Sweper

Salute. I have noticed on BG´s co-ops, Friar´s co-ops and even when we are having a furball on dogs server, I am not able to see the callsign on some of you mates planes. I noticed last night when Sid forced me to crach, I thought it was an AI plane first. I did not see Sid´s callsign.

This seems to happen randomly. All co-ops settings are forced by the host so my game control settings shouldnt make any difference, I think? I have a key binded for three different icon settings but it doesnt make any difference when tapping the key (well, it do change the icons, but I dont see the callsign). Operation Pedestal seems to work properly with its limited icons.

I have also noticed when flying Toads training missions, that the distance setting sometimes disappears. When restarting the game it is back to normal again.

Is there some settings in the config.ini file I could check? Just want to know who is chasing me..

Swep

The Host controls the Icon settings Sweper the Client can only toggle them on and off with a bound key, But only if the Host is actually letting you see them.

Most host use a RCU file and the script they create to control Icon settings.

Truly though they are tags, the icons ore the planes that show on the map. Again controlled by the Host, just a bit easier, since its switchable through the games GUI interface, prior to hosting. 

Icon settings are changed by adding scripts to the .rcu file in the game's root folder. I use an application called Iconscript that gives me a choice of many different scripts.

Here's a typical example:

@set iconfdot 7

@set iconfrange 0.00.1

@set iconftype 0.00.1

@set iconfid 1

@set iconfname 0.00.1

@set iconfcolor 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------above the line is friendlies

Ok thanks. But why arent the icons working full out when in co-ops? Sometimes I can see callsigns, sometimes not. From what I know BG have set colors, dots, callsign etc. for both enemys and friendlys from 1000 meters and up. Even on the dogs server some of the planes show their callsign, some are not. It could look different from one plane to another.

Swep

Here is an example. Just flew Toads Training missions. First sortie I flew un-modded 4.08. No distance within the icons. I quit the game. Started modded 4.08 and all of a sudden I had distance again. Swithced back to un-modded 4.08 and now I got distance here as well. Could it be a mod issue?

Un-modded 4.08 screen shot.

Thanks Toad. I am lost to. I did also set Icons Off to off in the control panel. I dont change anything when jumping between versions. And, it obviously happens not only when I am the host. What is strange is that I think I never had the "distance" issue in on-line gaming like co-ops. There I can´t see the callsign, on some of the planes.

Swep

I have come up to something.

First I chose 4.08 unmodded, connect to dogs.servegame.org, fly around, quit the server. Directly after that (without quitting the game completly) I connect to "create a new server", cooperative, Toads Training Missions, German, select a plane and hit fly. Limited icons with no distance!

I quit the game, re-enter cooperative, Toads Training missions, hit fly and now everything is back to normal again. I tried this several times and every time I first join the dogs server before I create a new server I get limited icons. I tried this both unmodded and modded 4.08, and the same happen.

The strange thing is that I dont fly on dogs server before our saturdays coops, or any other coops during the week.

Some screen shots:

This how the icons looks like in Toads missions when not showing distance:

Dogs server settings:

Swep

354_e90fe088ac99c7b4e515b04608483ac6

354_63bf6545ec23cf310052dcf7933087f3

354_77b2ddf515f205f934958c83553eebce

354_30f55e57c01baf6e8facd3253a817b27

Ok, I see what your saying.

It does it to me too, I think.

Apparently the online aircraft tag settings from last server stick if the game has not been shut down.

This is what I see if I just flew on dogs server, then host the coops without shutting down the game.

I'd say you have noticed something now one else has about this game.

Good catch

267_452cc9643283eb7c5edfd5dab98e2f84

Just a note. Like I mentioned yesterday on BG´s coop, i.e. on the dog fight map before starting co-op´s, the only callsign I could read was Ash´s. We were three planes starting at same time in the canyon, (blue side), and no one of them I could read their call sign. We were obviously less then 1000 meters away from each other. I even quit the whole game but it did not change anything. Later on, on the co-op´s, everything went back to normal. Strange.