warclouds

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

i am thinking of having a go on warclouds.

i have registered on their forum as DD-frior-one

does anyone know if that means that i am now ok to go onto the game server?

can i "just drop in"?

• 1. DDz Quorum

thanks for that mate.

i expected to get my arse handed to me on a plate! - did i read something about a deathban or something? if i get killed i have to sit out for a while? or am i just mis-reading something?

yes after 3 deaths there is a 5 or 10 min ban - cant remember which.

a few more rules on this server

1) no externals- so take care when taxying and taking off

2)all icons are black - friendly show name of pilot at 500m - enemy show aircraft e.g. FW-190 at 500m

3) vulching is frowned upon but does go on sometimes

While I enjoy the settings on Warclouds, I'm just not all over the plane set. It never seems to change no matter what map is up.

The regular pilots there are logging in a huge amount of hours and are excellent gamers, but not nessessarily good pilots. By this I mean they know how to eke every bit of performance out of the game. Trim on a slider, 109 prop pitch exploit, flying 'in the red' for extended periods, etc. While in my mind these things are not cheats, they are also not realistic piloting skills. I much prefer trying to fly my plane in a somewhat normal manner and living with the consequences rather than looking for quirks in the programming to take advantage of.

A df server is all about stats, period. You will see conga lines of shoulder shooting planes trying to get the last bullet into a smoking dead pilots ride for that all important 100 points. Then hit the deck race for an airfield and bang it down for the points. Repeat over and over again and you will quickly become tired of it. You will finally mange to get a plane flaming and he'll disco rather than have being shot down show up in his stats.

Sorry, but I've been there, done that, and except for gunnery practice, I pretty much stay off DF servers in general and Warclouds in particular.

Freelancer

Same experience here on WarClouds...take off, fly around, and get smoked by a Luftwaffe team that's been flying Fw-190s since day one. Late war plane set is getting old also.

Oh yeah, the admin doesn't like my name, "Knutsac". Says it's offensive and I have to change it; I refuse and no longer fly WarClouds. What could be more offensive than simulating the hunting and killing of other humans?

I hear ya' on the WC issues.

Before I ran into BG in the pre-DD days, I flew it almost exclusively.

The challenge and competition was fun - and funny, I flew entirely 109's and blue as it was always outnumbered it seemed at the time.

Now the odd occassion I go back, it is the same old blue guys flying - but of course turned over red.

The plane sets are always late modeled 190's and restricted Red set it seems. And boring missions - red get to ground pound and get eaten alive while blue floats around just their own side of the border and pounces. Never extending over the red border in case they can't parachute to safety.

Not fun - and hardly fair if you want to fly red.

I find that since 4.04 its red that have the advantage - even after taking out the 25lb spit which drove a lot of the regulars off the server. I can fly and score with the spitfire IXe but as soon as I go blue I get hammered- I used to do well in a 109 but now it is too slow and has its chocolate engine that smokes with few hits back and I just cant get into 190s- they dont suit my style of flying -you have to use them to hit and run .

Just me I suppose but Im not enjoying dogfight servers as much as I used to, probably for the reasons all you guys have given but mainly because Im having REAL trouble spotting a/c which puts me at a huge disadvantage and Im heading to giving them up and sticking to co-ops.

i am thinking of having a go on warclouds.

i have registered on their forum as DD-frior-one

does anyone know if that means that i am now ok to go onto the game server?

can i "just drop in"?

I also still fly on Warclouds, as well as Pacific Conflict occasionally. I agree with the rest of the guys: there are a hard-core group of pilots on these servers who seem to do nothing but fly, and wait for noobs to join, then mercilessly pounce on them from great heights. They are always on comms, and they do tend to hover around their friendly lines of base. There is little attempt to destroy ground targets, but that is what I still tend to do. I normally hate ground-pounding, but this is one of the only things available to do at times. Staying low, you can often take a fast 'Jabo' type, and hit your objective, then RTB.

I found a good bunch on Historia, I haven't been there recently, but I expect they are still around. They are fairly strict on Historical skins (or default if you don't have any). Might be worth a try.

Yikes, full switch. I'd love to fly without icons, as they are not too realistic. My graphs/ plane recognition, are just not good enough for that.

Thanks BA.

I'm completely comfortable with no icons. In fact I prefer it that way.

But what I can't live without is my little white plane on the map. Even with my compass rose I'm lost in under two minutes on most maps without my little buddy enabled to tell me where I am. When flying in the online wars, I form up with the guy ahead of me and hope his pathfinding is better than mine :?