Friend has issues.

mctav

I completely agree with Tonar on this one. I can't imagine what he could have done so that the computer won't even boot. If there is a warranty he should send it back. They might be a charge for fixing it but that is better than a dead machine. If the shipping charges are high then he might be better off taking it to someone local. Quazi shipped a computer to a guy he built it for and the shipper damaged it in transit. It has to be shipped back for fixing and then back again.

Trying to diagnose a problem like this without "hands on" is

Howdy,

There are a few things: 1.) make sure his mobo version is fully compatible with the 45nm E8500 CPU, some motherboards will only handle the new 45nm CPU's after a flash bios upgrade. This is a pain as it involves getting an older 65nm CPU, booting, installing windows, upgrade flash, etc

2.) The other thing is that the E8500 CPU running at FSB speed of 1333 has a base frequency of 333, where as the DDR2 6400 memory (DDR2 800mhz) I believe requires a base frequency of 400mhz... or is it 200... memory timings confuse me.

if there is a old working PCI (not PCI-e) video card i would try to start the rig with it. usually when the VGA dies BIOS beeps in a special manner. but sometimes died VGA blocks the BIOS and it's unable to beep. so i would focus on VGA. trying another VGA, trying this one on a different rig, and trying with PCI card in case of PCI-e port dieing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

I have a similar problem with a client's machine at the moment, damn thing won't POST at all, swapped out gfx cards, psu and memory. Left with processor and mobo (which I don't have spares for) - looks like they're going to need new innards for this one. FWIW a mainboard/processor kit can usually be picked up from most computer retailers at a reasonable price - I'm on the wrong side of the herring pond to advise on who you should look at, but that'd be where I'd be going now.

~S~ Jabo